Oak - Coals and ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clr8ter

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2010
Southern NH
So lately, I've been burning that old dead oak tree I referenced in my last thread. It's burning real nice, but I've noticed that the ash isn't building up, and there more often than not is no coals left in the morning. I'm burning this wood almost exclusively, and before this, I was burning my usual mix of stuff, including oak, black & white birch, and a lot of maple. When I was running that stuff, the ash built up quicker, and there were more coals left. I'd just like to confirm that it's the oak causing this condition, although I can't imagine what else would cause it.

If nothing else has changed then it is definitely the wood. Most likely due to lower moisture and higher BTU's than the other wood(s) you have. Beyond that the only other thing I could think of is an air leak that somehow began right as you started burning the oak.

Oaks will be less ashy than soft maple and birch. Comparing the same size log, the oak has a bunch more energy (weight) than the lesser woods. If you need ash build up - burn some black walnut.:p

I agree that there is less ash from oak than most woods.

OK, sounds good. That's what I thought, but I was amazed at the difference in ash quantity. It's markedly noticeable. Actually, for a few days, I thought the wife was sneaking pans of ash out of the stove. She denied it, LOL. She's way more eager to empty the ash that I am. She thinks that having ash in the bottom won't let the wood burn. I tend to empty it when it starts to fall out the side door, or it becomes a problem fitting in several pieces for the night.

Have her read a little here on Hearth - ash in moderation is GOOD thing. Stoves work/burn better and more efficiently with a nice ash bed to insulate the bottom. I never completely empty the stove until it is getting shut down in April(ish) depending on when spring arrives here in Michigan.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
OK, sounds good. That's what I thought, but I was amazed at the difference in ash quantity. It's markedly noticeable. Actually, for a few days, I thought the wife was sneaking pans of ash out of the stove. She denied it, LOL. She's way more eager to empty the ash that I am. She thinks that having ash in the bottom won't let the wood burn. I tend to empty it when it starts to fall out the side door, or it becomes a problem fitting in several pieces for the night.

Just be sure to tell her to leave at least an inch of ash in the bottom. We usually leave from 1-2". This helps insulate the bottom of the stove and also helps with the fire.

Yeah, I know. But, you know, women know EVERYTHING. She knows that the ash won't let the stove burn based on nothing. No point in arguing. If she insists on taking ash out before it's ready, I'll just take away the steel trash can we dump it into. Earlier this year, before I put the can out, she took out some ash, put it in a cardboard box, and put the box outside on the porch, next to a wooden post. Even though I knew there was no embers, (it had been a week +), I let her have it. In the past, she's also had a tendency to dump it directly in the garden 12" from the house, and right in the snowbank along the walk, where we park the sleds.:mad:

Yeah, I know. But, you know, women know EVERYTHING. She knows that the ash won't let the stove burn based on nothing. No point in arguing. If she insists on taking ash out before it's ready, I'll just take away the steel trash can we dump it into. Earlier this year, before I put the can out, she took out some ash, put it in a cardboard box, and put the box outside on the porch, next to a wooden post. Even though I knew there was no embers, (it had been a week +), I let her have it. In the past, she's also had a tendency to dump it directly in the garden 12" from the house, and right in the snowbank along the walk, where we park the sleds.:mad:

This is all wrong! There is no excuse in allowing such practices. Especially with the ashes in the cardboard box then setting it on the porch. Little things like these that tend to get overlooked can cause very bad things to happen later on. No matter how much she thinks she knows, it is your task to convince her of doing the right thing. After all, think not just of you, but of her and your family.

It may seem a trifle thing to not say anything. However, it is like any other situation. When someone does something they knew they should not do and then they get away with it, the next time, it becomes easier to do. Then push the envelop a bit further and further. No telling how many times you can get away with things but in the long run, it does catch up with most.

This is nothing to trifle with at all. It is time to teach and as a man it is your duty to do so.

LOL, you don't know my wife. I do my absolute best. She actually knows not to do what she does. (With the ashes.) But, she sometimes overlooks things, probably on purpose.

He or she who does not improve is a fool. He or she who does things that should not be done may come to a sad end. As stated before, this is not something to trifle with; it is serious.

I KNOW. You're preaching to the choir.

Wow-zers . . . not sure how the Women of Hearth.com missed this one. I read this and thought there was no way they would let you live this one down. ;)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
The Summit burns better with only a small amount of ash in the bottom.

I did not know there were women here…..I will say this, in my wife's defense - if she chooses to do it right, she's actually pretty good at running the stove. Starting, stoking, adjusting, even splitting wood, actually. It's just sometimes, she choses not to do it right, that's all.

I'm burning a bunch of Birch and Ash right now. I think Ash got it's name by the amount of ash it creates.

Status
Not open for further replies.