Oak Drying Experiment to cover or not- Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here, I just moved a cord or so onto my back porch, it's been sitting for 4 years, top covered when split. The stuff is sweet, bone dry, no rot whatsoever, and no bugs.....no nothin, just solid oak.

Hey this is a great experiment, appears to be quicker to dry without top cover, wonder if it would be sooner to rot over time?

No.

Reactions: NortheastAl
This summer, and now moving into fall has been so wet that it looks like wood will never season. Just when we think the humidity levels drop, they pick up the next day. I think for every sunnny and dry day we get three that either are overcast or raining. NY is in a pattern I haven't seen in decades. Dont know how dry my wood is going to be by winter. The lowest I've had was 18% on a couple splits. The rest was around 25%. May have to do kiln dried if it stays this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.