Oak firewood slabs...good firewood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
I am considering ordering "oak firewood slabs" for this winter. They come in large bundles of one or two cord sizes. The disadvantage is I have to cut the wood to length. The main advantage is that these bundles are cheap compared to buying split, seasoned wood. Does anyone know anything about buying wood this way? I am new to buying wood. It is a lot easier than logging. What are the other pros and cobs to this wood purchase? Thanks

The problem with slabs is you are just getting the outside of the tree so you are getting more bark than wood. Not worth it in my opinion I ran out of wood a few years back and tried slabs constantly filling stove and shoveling ash.

Pros are it dries out quicker and lower price. Oak takes a couple years to season normally. Cons as noted, too much bark, no heart wood, maybe a bit more challenging to load and still get air through the fire?

I agree, I would be concerned about the percentage of bark. Pro side it is easy to stack and cut and normally very east to split. Bark also fills the firebox with rolling flame if you have a big glass door and like the light show! If really cheap, might be good to mix in.

On logging, I know I am in VA but burn quite a bit of good hardwood and I very seldom have to fell a tree. Get the word out at work and church that you are burning and need wood. be willing to cut up storm damage to help a neighbor out for the wood in exchange. If you see an arborist doing residential work, offer to take the wood. Sometimes they don't want to fool with hauling it away.

If you have a pickup and/ or trailer, call around the local lumber mills. If you can pick it up, they might give the slab wood away for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.