OAK Install Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
Well, spent today installing the OAK for the F600 (picture attached).

Made do with the following supplies:

One dryer vent
One length of metal dryer tubing
One OAK for the F600

A couple of questios:

1- Will I need to insulate the flexible pipe and if so, does anyone have recommendations?
2- DOes anyone have a sugestion on a "flapper" assembly so I can close the vent when not working the stove?
3- When I go to light the stove, do I have to be concerned about the glass- i.e. heating too fast? What about the cast?

Just some questions that came to mind as I installed the OAK.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG00406-20111015-1749[1].jpg
    IMG00406-20111015-1749[1].jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 223
No insulation required. If anything the uninsulated pipe would help preheat the air just a bit.

No flapper valve needed IMO. Your stoves control doesn't let that much past when it's closed.

No concern. Relative to the hot temperatures of the firebox interior, an extra 30 degrees colder isn't going to be much of a difference.

Thanks, cmon. Knew I could count on you for some input.

Cannot wait to fire her up with the OAK to see if I reduce the amount of draft through the house.

Take care.

Got some sorta critter screen on the outside end? Rick

fossil said:
Got some sorta critter screen on the outside end? Rick

Already on there, but I have the .22 sitting close by in case there are intruders attempting to get into my home. :)

Looks similar to mine. Check my sig link.

You can paint the tube but it still looks a bit crazy. Also be aware that the pipe can be smashed which will be your emergency method for stopping a chimney fire if your stove gets all its air from this tube.

Is your stove set up to take ALL air through the OAK system? If not, then the benefits of an OAK are greatly diminished.

Highbeam said:
Looks similar to mine. Check my sig link.

You can paint the tube but it still looks a bit crazy. Also be aware that the pipe can be smashed which will be your emergency method for stopping a chimney fire if your stove gets all its air from this tube.

Is your stove set up to take ALL air through the OAK system? If not, then the benefits of an OAK are greatly diminished.

Set up the OAK according to the manufacturer's instructions, so yes, all air should be coming from the OAK (unless there is a slight miss on the OAK kit). Been walking around the house to see if the drafts I felt before have diminished- so far, yes. But now my wife has started the dryer, so my experiment comes to an abrubt halt...

Thanks for chiming in, and for the crushing suggestion for a chimney fire----although, with the new stove and new SS liner, I hope I do not have the issues I used to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.