OAK install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northwoodneil

Feeling the Heat
Feb 10, 2012
Land of Cheese
I decided it was time to put an OAK on the stove after reading about the benifits. Not a tough job except for cleaning out the storage area to get to where I needed to be. I did end up with 1 more elbow than I thought I would need. 7 foot of 3" pipe 4 elbows. Will that be to restrictive? The inlet on my PC45 is only about 2 1/2" the short test burn looked normal to me.

Attachments

• IMG_0460.JPG
    IMG_0460.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0458.JPG
    IMG_0458.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0463.JPG
    IMG_0463.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0459.JPG
    IMG_0459.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0456.JPG
    IMG_0456.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0465.JPG
    IMG_0465.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0468.JPG
    IMG_0468.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0462.JPG
    IMG_0462.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 109
I just ran the 3" all the way. I slit it in multiple places and put a automotive hose clamp around it. Touched up with a little high temp silcone. Seems pretty airtight. The 3" vent is a tight fit in the back panel but since the hole is 3 sided it works.

Looks like a nice clean install.

Should work out fine for you.

---Nailer---

I might have to see if I can do that, I used automotive flexible hose, I didn't think 3" would fit in the sheet metal gap on my 68, and didn't want to cut it.
I just came home with a 3" rigid style dryer vent for my P68 and I can tell you it would not fit past the sheet metal cover. Thinking my next stop might be an automotive store or the right pipe online if it can be found.

I'm not sure if they changed the back panel on newer P68 and 45's mine is an old model. All I had to do to get it to fit was squeeze it about a half inch. I did use aluminum vent which makes it easier.

Yup thats a home. You don't even want to know what the cabin looks like.;lol

I might have to see if I can do that, I used automotive flexible hose, I didn't think 3" would fit in the sheet metal gap on my 68, and didn't want to cut it.
Hey Mighty, what size auto hose did you use on your 68? Thought I finally had what i need 2 3/8ID (60mm) flex hose from auto store and it's way to small it fits inside the intake with some wiggle room.
Thought the box could have been labeled wrong but it measures correctly.

Nice place Dexter. Ours looks to have a few more square feet and a walkout basement. It was built back in the early 80's by who I believe was a lumber man who didn't own a level.o_O

Nice place Dexter. Ours looks to have a few more square feet and a walkout basement. It was built back in the early 80's by who I believe was a lumber man who didn't own a level.o_O

Thats our little vacation Cabin. It has a loft on the back (not seen from front). Its 2 bedrooms and 2 baths, with a crawl space for the water heater, boiler, and water treatment. Its all Sandstone base, so no basement unless dynamite was used :)

I would love to live there, but a 3.5 hr drive to work is a killer. :(

Hey Mighty, what size auto hose did you use on your 68? Thought I finally had what i need 2 3/8ID (60mm) flex hose from auto store and it's way to small it fits inside the intake with some wiggle room.
Thought the box could have been labeled wrong but it measures correctly.

I used a 3" hose, and it bent through the Harman sheet metal nicely. Rated up to 1,000F. Crimped it on with a hose clamp, and foil tape.

You could in theory just use a dryer hose, as they are rated in the 400-600F area as well. More prone to breakage though.

Status
Not open for further replies.