Oak log down since Floyd

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY12553

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2011
Southern NY
I got a call from a guy that i got other wood from in the past. He says he has an oak log that he cut up and its been down since floyd. I go get it. BONE DRY. Only thing I find is these white/tan worms on the inside. Should I be concerned? I seperated the pieces I found them in and will probably burn them tomorrow night outside just to get rid of it....what are these things? Also is oak ever to old that it isn't worth taking? the outside is a little nasty but the inside looks like the floors in my house...not pink but tan.

Sounds like you got some white oak or chestnut oak. If the wood is good inside it's definately worth keeping for firewood. As for the bugs, sounds like you have a white oak borer or some other borer beetle. That worm is the larvae......does it look like this?

thumbnailCAI2HL73.jpg

The outside sap wood will get punky pretty fast if the tree is on the ground, but the inside by your description sound solid.
Should be very good wood.
The worms are great fishing bait ;)

I've seen Red Oak that had been out there for twenty years, and was still burnable. Sapwood was gone but if the heartwood was up off the ground, it was still solid.

Sounds like you got some white oak or chestnut oak. If the wood is good inside it's definately worth keeping for firewood. As for the bugs, sounds like you have a white oak borer or some other borer beetle. That worm is the larvae......does it look like this?

View attachment 66100
That is exactly what it is...not in every piece...going to burn it tonight...give it a test run i guess!

Reactions: ScotO
I doubt it will be below 30% mc. Unless its like Quads petrofied oak!

I got a call from a guy that i got other wood from in the past. He says he has an oak log that he cut up and its been down since floyd. I go get it. BONE DRY. Only thing I find is these white/tan worms on the inside. Should I be concerned? I seperated the pieces I found them in and will probably burn them tomorrow night outside just to get rid of it....what are these things? Also is oak ever to old that it isn't worth taking? the outside is a little nasty but the inside looks like the floors in my house...not pink but tan.

Good for you getting that wood Rory. Don't worry about the worms. Don't worry about the bone dry either. It is no doubt punky on the outside but the inside should be great. It will heat you nicely, punk and all.

Does oak ever get too old? Only if it all turns to punk, which it will if it is in contact with the ground or left in an uncovered stack for 15-20 years. For sure I would have taken it.

Those bugs are harmless to you and your woodpile, get that stuff split and stacked and enjoy the BTU's when it gets dry enough to burn.......gotta love that oak!

Those bugs are harmless to you and your woodpile, get that stuff split and stacked and enjoy the BTU's when it gets dry enough to burn.......gotta love that oak!

I would say that it is dry enough to burn now! I gave some to a buddy of mine who split some smaller pieces and burned it right away.

Backwoods thanks for the words of motivation...I am almost done spliting and stacking till fall before the girlfriend shoots me! I know picutres or it doesnt' exist...

Oh wow! 1999. That should really be nice!

Oh wow! 1999. That should really be nice!

Just got done splitting and stacking it today...stuff is BONE DRY! I compared it to some other oak i got and it is a world apart...can't wait to burn it...left some larger splits and will put smaller one's around it like you said...thanks for the tip

1999! And it wasnt rotted? That is a good find. Hope it burns well for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.