OAK pipe condensation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

subsailor

Minister of Fire
Dec 8, 2011
Winthrop, Maine
Now that's it's getting cooler/colder, I'm starting to get condesation dripping from my OAK pipe. When it's real cold, the whole thing is covered in frost in the morning, then when it warms up, it driops all over the place to the point I had to put a pan under it. Is anyone else experiencing this?

subsailor said:
Now that's it's getting cooler/colder, I'm starting to get condesation dripping from my OAK pipe. When it's real cold, the whole thing is covered in frost in the morning, then when it warms up, it driops all over the place to the point I had to put a pan under it. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I get a length of my OAK covered in frost when the temps hit the single digits, how much appears will depend upon your indoor humidity level.

I let my hearth pad take the little bit of water. Some folk insulate their OAKs (just remember the OAK can have hot air in it if the conditions are right) or place a pan under the drip point.

Then there are the OAKs attached to the venting systems like Selkirk has.

Yeah it's normal. The "OAK" for my boiler does the same thing as well. I don't worry about it since it's a minor amount of dripping.

Homies and Blowes sell a product called Rubbatex.....it's black foam tape, about 2 inches wide....I wrapped my outside air pipe with it and the condensation problem went away.

Status
Not open for further replies.