Oak termination under deck thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was planning a DIY oak sometime this Fall and just wanted to get some input. Stove is in the basement, OAK would extend 8' up and another 8' to the basement wall. I was planning on cutting a 3" hole through the rim joist just above the sill plate. This would then extend through the sheathing. Now the only thing which may or may not be an issue is that it would exit about 4-5" below my deck - the ground (gravel / dirt) is about a foot below. The hole would also go through the deck ledger board.

Logistically, this is simplest method for my setup - any thoughts / safety concerns?

Oak (Medium).JPG

The area actually stays free of snow/ice & wind. I made a point to occasionally monitor the space last year in anticipation of this project and didn't see any issues with the elements. I'd put a critter screen on it of course.

You'll know when the flame goes lazy.

By the area I'm talking about all the way to free air along the sides of your deck. Snow builds up fast and where you are you get just a bit, shoveling the deck off can plug up the sides and front of the deck..

That is an accident waiting to happen!

Tom C.

I think it would create more hassels then not using the OAK at all. Last winter was not a good winter to judge snowfall as it was way below average for our area. One good snowstorm and it will seal the top and sides. The last thing you will want to do during a snowstorm is shovel the deck so your fire stays lit, it will probably work for the most (no snow) part but not worth risk. Just my $0.02

Photos of location?

Okay, I understand the concern now about it being blocked / getting enough air, and yes last year was a really bad example weather wise. The space under the deck is actually very shallow in the area I would terminate the OAK - I'm pretty sure it stays free of anything all winter (except dripping water from above) - the wind doesn't even get the snow up in there that far. I live on a hill and the ground slopes away steeply in a way which which would never snow the deck in completly.

Guess I can always hold off until mid-winter to see if this is practical or not. I'm really more concerned about possible safety / code violations, etc - cannot find much info on that aspect.

It isn't just close to where the OAK will terminate is is if the area around and on top of the deck gets covered with snow, the OAK can't provide air if it is in an enclosed box.

Exhaust is vented 25' straight up through chimney (in the middle of the house)

I'll see if I can get a good photo, because the diagram is misleading - it's the total opposite of an enclosed box - the deck is actually really large and wide with open sides, there is plenty of airflow there - I honestly don't think that this would be an issue - accessing air, really. I'm more concerned at this point on code violations, etc.

An alternative is to vent the OAK up the chimney too. You'd have to terminate the OAK a set distance below the exhaust at the top and screen in the top so air can enter. But if you think air will flow consistently under your deck, I don't see a problem with your plan. Good luck.

WE terminate oaks out thebottom of manufactured homes all the time and those are enclosed a lot tighter than a deck side wall. So it should be fine. You might want to go to 4" because of the long run and step it down close to the stove. If you do use all 3" do not use anything corrugated as that will impede your air flow .

Can you access it easily? How will you plug it in the summer? I was the recipient of a hornet's nest in my OAK this summer. Got to see the bees inside the stove and everything. Make sure you can get to it to plug it for summer.

whats the odds of a fly ash ember catching dry leaves and debri under it on fire?

also if something were to happen, what would he insurance company say about the venting?

whats the odds of a fly ash ember catching dry leaves and debri under it on fire?

Pretty small since this is an OAK (Outside Air Kit) not the exhaust. The Exhaust goes up a chimney through the center of his house. :)

An alternative is to vent the OAK up the chimney too

That would be convenient and I know some members have this setup, unfortunately this would not work for me seeing i have a 6" SS liner in about a 6" clay lined chimney - just no room.

As others pointed out, i'm not too concerned about that since it is an OAK. Honestly though, if I found myself in the situation where conditions were right to have embers or sparks exiting 18ft through the air intake, i'd probably be too busy first, putting out the raging inferno in my basement to even care ;)

You might want to go to 4" because of the long run

Well this would be the case since I only have a 3" hole saw! I'd prefer to stick with 3" just out of ease (and the space between joists is very tight) - was planning on the corrugated semi-rigid pipe, but can easily switch to the smooth 3" duct pipe instead so as not to impede airflow.

So, i'm thinking that this may just work out & this is the very type of feedback I was looking for, thanks everyone. I'll update this thread if this ever pans out in the next few months.

So is anybody else running a 17 - 18ft OAK run and if so, are you using 3" or 4" / semi-rigid or rigid?

As others pointed out, i'm not too concerned about that since it is an OAK. Honestly though, if I found myself in the situation where conditions were right to have embers or sparks exiting 18ft through the air intake, i'd probably be too busy first, putting out the raging inferno in my basement to even care ;)

I hate you now. :p

lol, I didn't mean to come across like that - just adding some humor to the situation. It is a good point though and I am glad you brought it up because this does get mentioned from time to time, hopefully nobody will ever post that their deck burned down because of embers shooting out of the OAK!

You might consider going up through the deck a couple feet. That way snow shouldn't be an issue. Put a joint at the deck level and you can take the top part off during the non heating season. Cap it and it will be out of he way. At that length, it will need to be the 3 in. stuff.
I ran my stove without OAK for the first year. After that, I put mine in and still feel it is worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.