Oak Wilt: Good For Stoves, Bad For Trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
Pictures of a few areas of oak wilt out in the woods:
IMG_3976.jpg

IMG_3977.jpg

IMG_3978.jpg

IMG_3981.jpg

IMG_3983.jpg

In the winter when I cut dead wood like that and burn it ASAP I notice the top 2/3's burn well. The bottom third after splitting I'll either stack it around the hearth for a day or I'll throw it in a pile for next year or so's use...it all depends on a ping test. Never burned oak quads and have heard it takes a few years to season but risk aside I sure do like cutting dead trees. They're an easy take.

Yup, even standing dead for many years sometimes the water will run out of the trunks of those trees when you cut them, but not the limbs. There's so many already tipped over and lying on the ground that I haven't had to fell many trees for a long time. Eventually the roots rot off and then they tip over. That's when I cut them up. The tipped over trees keep me going year round. In the meantime the woodpeckers and other little birds put them to use. I can't even remember the last time I cut a green tree!

Regardless, I throw it all in the wood museum for at least two years and then I know every piece is good after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.