OAK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WOODNUT358

Aug 1, 2008
RI
What is a good OAK to install on a XXV pellet stove. Brand and or part# would be appreciated. Thanks.

Can't go wrong with the OEM part as suggested in the manual. However, I used 3" flex pipe on both my stoves and used clamp rings to attach them. That way I don't have cold air spilling back into the room from the 2-3/8 pipe just laying in the air inlet.

None of us can give you an exact answer - fopr one, we don't know how long a run you have. It could be 18", it could be 6', it could be up a chimney.

I don't think it really matters as to brand. Just google metal flex pipe and find a cheap one that is long enough. HD and Ace both sell those types in the shorter lengths.

1698131419576.png

Last edited:
I used the one in Fig 8. Works great in my very tight house.

Hmmnnnn

Bought me a brand new Harman XXV in Oregon City at "Pellet Stoves and More" 9 years ago and the Oak flex pipe they sold me was much smaller that the receptacle opening in the back of stove so I just stuffed it in there laying loose and figured it would still draw a sufficient amount of air from outside since I was sold to me from the dealer. I asked them when they sold it to me and they said it would be just fine.

Did I screw up by trusting the Harman dealer I bought the stove from or is this method for an OAK setup sufficient?

Did I screw up by trusting the Harman dealer I bought the stove from or is this method for an OAK setup sufficient?
So it has worked for 9 years without complaint and now you want to know if it is sufficient ?
I would guess that your stove is getting enough air if not all of it from outside. It would have
been nice if it was a proper size. On my stove, it is just shoved into the pipe but it is a tight
fit and has worked for 22 years. As the saying goes if it ain't broke don't f--k with it

sorry but I don't see where i said it worked fine for 9 years, maybe I wrote that part in invisible ink

I've owned it for nine years is what i said. It's been screwing up for probably 8 years at least with different countless problems

I figure the lemon needs all the help it can get so I was just wondering if my OAK setup was detrimental to it functioning properly. Seems if yours fits tight you just may have the correct size, I mentioned mine is way smaller diamater than it should be to match up, nothing like yours is

and....NO, I don't see where I said it ain't broke either, it's had numerous problems it's whole life

Your crystal ball seems to be malfunctioning 😏 time to take it to the shop to have it reprogrammed :)

Reactions: ctreitzell
sorry but I don't see where i said it worked fine for 9 years, maybe I wrote that part in invisible ink

I've owned it for nine years is what i said. It's been screwing up for probably 8 years at least with different countless problems

I figure the lemon needs all the help it can get so I was just wondering if my OAK setup was detrimental to it functioning properly. Seems if yours fits tight you just may have the correct size, I mentioned mine is way smaller diamater than it should be to match up, nothing like yours is

and....NO, I don't see where I said it ain't broke either, it's had numerous problems it's whole life

Your crystal ball seems to be malfunctioning 😏 time to take it to the shop to have it reprogrammed :)

The only difference between a larger flex pipe and a smaller one is that with the larger you will draw most of your air from outside and with the smaller will allow the stove to draw inside are too.

A potential problem with the smaller flex pipe is you may push it in too far to the stove's intake and inhibit the flapper.

Reactions: ctreitzell
The only difference between a larger flex pipe and a smaller one is that with the larger you will draw most of your air from outside and with the smaller will allow the stove to draw inside are too.

A potential problem with the smaller flex pipe is you may push it in too far to the stove's intake and inhibit the flapper.
Thank you Sir! That's what I was wondering was if the smaller pipe interfered with the flapper what negative effect would that have on the stove's function? This may be the cause of my problems right there.

Thanks for the informative reply :)

yep, that's what I was thinkin. Better than just sliding it in there

will have a full report later

getting the proper pipe from the Harman dealer at the beginning would'a been nice also, kinda lame on their part when I'm shelling out over $4K for a stove to sell me the wrong part

For my stove I put a 2 3/8” to 3” adapter on my stove as it’s better to have a bit bigger pipe than a smaller one