OAK ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ONETIMER

Hearth Supporter
Getting A Quadrafire Classic bay 1200 insert Installed On Tuesday the 15th. Is it a must to have a OAK installed as well.What do you think? Great forum here by the way beenlurking for a couple of weeks now.

Please, please, please use the Search for OAK. It has been discussed so many times that you'll find every possible answer, pro and con for it there. Thanks.

tjnamtiw said:
Please, please, please use the Search for OAK. It has been discussed so many times that you'll find every possible answer, pro and con for it there. Thanks.

............ a big 'Hearty Welcome' to the forum onetimer........ ur might be wondering why ur not gettin any responses to your 'simple' question about an OAK.... we all love the question but we're all tired of givin and scrappin over the answer..... :lol: :lol: ...... it's almost funny how a simple topic can stir up a an amazing amount of great discussion..... I think everyone's exhausted though.... but maybe not....... anyway welcome to this great forum and as tjnamtiw said, do a search and good luck!...... ha..... cc :)

P.S. .... I've got an OAK..... shhhhh....

[quote author="CanadaClinker" date="1260349843"
............ a big 'Hearty Welcome' to the forum onetimer........ ur might be wondering why ur not gettin any responses to your 'simple' question about an OAK.... we all love the question but we're all tired of givin and scrappin over the answer..... :lol: :lol: ...... it's almost funny how a simple topic can stir up a an amazing amount of great discussion..... I think everyone's exhausted though.... but maybe not....... anyway welcome to this great forum and as tjnamtiw said, do a search and good luck!...... ha..... cc :)

P.S. .... I've got an OAK..... shhhhh....[/quote]

And I don't.......... So here we go again.. ha ha ha. Yes, welcome to the loony bin!

ONETIMER said:
Thanks, search underway.I was going to talk to my installer anyways.I guess I am getting a little "antsy" waiting to fire-up so to speak.

My guess is that your installer will say "I never put those in....you don't need it!", or something like that.....they mostly just don't want to be bothered.

<psst......I have an OAK too>

I did not have one installed with my insert. I decided to add the OAK last night just before the storm. I'm glad I did! It burns fantastic and probably solved my interment starting problems. My friend helped me and he is having his Harman stove installed by an installer today (If he can make it through the snow). The installer told him he doesn't need an OAK but after we added one to mine, My friend will insist that the installer puts one in.

macman said:
ONETIMER said:
Thanks, search underway.I was going to talk to my installer anyways.I guess I am getting a little "antsy" waiting to fire-up so to speak.

My guess is that your installer will say "I never put those in....you don't need it!", or something like that.....they mostly just don't want to be bothered.

<psst......I have an OAK too>

Welcome to the forum !!!! Lots of great info, lively discussion and good ole smart a%#ses like myself. All good stuff.

And so starts the next line of mixed answers: Installers and dealers. My dealer (who also installed my stove) said it was not needed, but I had them do it. My g/f installer (not the dealer she bought from, her dealer does not do through the roof installs) said he always puts them in. To me, they make sense, but that is my opinion.

I've never dealt with an insert. Maybe DannMarr can chime in as he installed one himself on an insert. Or PM him.

Your installer should know as well.

gbreda said:
I've never dealt with an insert. Maybe DannMarr can chime in as he installed one himself on an insert.

Your installer should know as well.

Argh..... Your owners manual shows two methods. One goes up the chimney and is capped off next to and below the exhaust. The second method is out the cleanout, if you have one. (I don't). The biggest gripe I had was that Quad goes to great detail to tell you about how to calculate the 'effective' exhaust distance but says nothing about the max length allowed for the OAK.

Search, search, search. :coolsmile:

IceNine said:
ok what is OAK? i'm guessing it has NOTHING to do with the trees right?
It's just short for "outside air kit".BTW welcome to the forum.
mnkywrnch

ONETIMER said:
OUTSIDE AIR KIT. I HAVE TO ADMIT THIS FORUM IS ADDICTIVE, HELP ME !!!!!!!
It really does grow on you, lots of great people with tons of knowledge.

You think this is bad, wait until you get hooked on pellet types, pellet amounts, pellet fines etc.

12 step program starting for that addiction :lol:

gbreda said:
You think this is bad, wait until you get hooked on pellet types, pellet amounts, pellet fines etc.

12 step program starting for that addiction :lol:

Doesn't work much! I be still addicted, Hmmm. With this bad weather today, I bet there is no lines down at the pellet house. See ya!

Here are some photos of the exhaust and fresh air lines of my Quadrafire Castile pellet insert.
The Fresh Air line goes up the chimney only 2 feet in length and was insulated below to keep out the cold air from mixing with the circulating air inside the unit.
On the roof, the cap was installed above the original one, so the exhaust ends above the fresh air inlet. I hope these photos help.

Attachments

• DSC05176.jpg
    DSC05176.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 220
  • fireplace insert.jpg
    fireplace insert.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 230
Saw that some had replied to this on the threads list and had to look. Can someone out there tell me WHEN this became a hot buttom issue? I been burning pellets and wood for .... well lets say too long and I have never felt a compelling need to install one...... What happened to make this so important, or is it really a non-issue????? Some need it for very specific issues, but the majority of us burn just fine without it.

ONETIMER said:
I am learning folks.Very informative Thanks. I need to get a job....... Pellet mill and Corn Crib Addiction..... must stop.....

There is no stopping it. Just little fixes. Shopping for pellets is about the best there is. Second is when your filling the hopper with you findings!

At least your admitting it, So there is hope. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.