Observations from a noob

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChandlerR

Minister of Fire
Jan 28, 2009
Hampton, NH
I've had my stove (A Magnum Baby Coutryside with OAK, 7 feet of inside vertical rise and a 45 degree end cap) for three weeks now. The stove came with a couple bags of softwood pellets. I then bought 10 bags of premium pellets from HD. They were Green Team. I've been playing with the stove ever since, trying to find out what it can do and how best to run it. I installed a thermometer on the heated air discharge at the front of the stove. I didn't have the thermometer for the first bags but I did get some good readings for the past week, burning both hard and softwood pellets.
My observations.
Burning the hardwood (Green team) gave me a maximum discharge air temp of 200 degrees. That was on the highest heat setting.
(I have the thermometer in the bottom left tube and even though it is not the hottest tube, I wanted consistant readings.)

Burning the softwood, (bought from a local Agway) my maximum temp went to 220 degrees. The front window was dirtier but the ash was very fine.

My next task is to find and try a few more brands and see what works best in my stove.
I read that softwood has a little more btu's per pound than hardwood but are a little dirtier. All in all, there doesn't seem to be too much difference between the two types. The good thing is they all give me the heat I so desperately need :)

Chandler

It took me about 2 seasons, and 7 different brands, to find out which pellets perform better in my stove.

These 3 have been my favorites.

1) Barefoot pellets
2) Comfort Hardwoods (Having a hard time finding these)
3L&G;Granules

Cygnus, are all of these hardwood? How about prices?

Chandler

Note, I buy my pellets in the spring when demand and prices are low. All three of these pellets have a high BTU and low ash content. I've had very good luck with all three.

1) Barefoot pellets (hardwood pellets) I got my mine for $235/ ton.
2) Comfort Hardwoods (Having a hard time finding these) I bought these 2 years ago at roughly $230/ ton. Love the pellets, just tough to come by
3L&G;Granules (softwood, I believe) I've seen them for $250/ ton.

CWR,

You maybe a noob! But it seems like you've got things under control. Good to have a few different pellet brands tested and Learn from them.

Knowing what your stove likes and Keeping the stove kleen helps alot.

jay

Well, finished two bags of the softwood pellets. I loaded the stove with a bag of Green Team's and started the stove, leaving the settings as they were for the softwood. I was painting ceilings and I became aware of that "hot" smell. Went to investigate and saw the discharge air temp on the stove at 300 degree's +. (The gauge pegs at 300) The temp in the family room was 75 and the rest of the house was more than comfortable. I turned the ceiling fan on in the family room and the temp dropped to 70 but the rest of the house was 65. I was impressed. I had the stove on it's highest heat setting. I turned it down to 5 and set the thermostat at 70. The stove cycled from 5 to low and back again while the room temp (as well as the house temp) stayed pretty much steady. I do not have my hot water oil furnace connected yet so the stove is doing everything. At this rate, I may leave the oil burner off.

Chandler

CWR said:
Well, finished two bags of the softwood pellets. I loaded the stove with a bag of Green Team's and started the stove, leaving the settings as they were for the softwood. I was painting ceilings and I became aware of that "hot" smell. Went to investigate and saw the discharge air temp on the stove at 300 degree's +. (The gauge pegs at 300) The temp in the family room was 75 and the rest of the house was more than comfortable. I turned the ceiling fan on in the family room and the temp dropped to 70 but the rest of the house was 65. I was impressed. I had the stove on it's highest heat setting. I turned it down to 5 and set the thermostat at 70. The stove cycled from 5 to low and back again while the room temp (as well as the house temp) stayed pretty much steady. I do not have my hot water oil furnace connected yet so the stove is doing everything. At this rate, I may leave the oil burner off.

Chandler

we haven't turned on our oil since mid Oct...eventhough it was cheaper to run than pellets.. it wasn't as comfortable feeling..
I did the same thing you did with the thermometer because I was curious and I'm getting readings around 290 on my setting feedrate-2 temperature-4 using Fireside Ultra's at the moment..anyone else care to share what settings they use and the temps they get with what make of pellets?...kinda curious..
Im gonna run the stove full out just to see how hot see really can get..never measured that b4..I know if I stand within 2feet it hurts

well its warm thats for sure..reading temp of 450 with the thermometer..indoor/outdoor thermometer is 60inches away at stove level reading 92..been running for roughly 35mins..not exactly using the most high tech of thermometers...its my turkey deep fryer thermometer...might as well see if its working....if your in the neighborhood sniff for the turkey..that'll be me..gobble gobble

I can adjust the blower speed only on the lowest temp setting. I've thought that if I could lower the blower speed just a tad, I would have a longer dwell time and the air would pick up more heat (Which is what you're seeing) but the stove is set up to be idiot proof. I'm sure their engineers decided that they needed to keep temps relatively cool so nothing gets overheated. I have the electricians at work watching for a just temperature controller. Something with a type J or K thermocouple. I'll wire it in and put it in a nice cabinet so I can really get a good reading on the discharge air temp.

I wanted to send a picture of my install but the room is still unfinished. No carpet and primer on the walls. I hope to start painting this week (just finished the ceilings) One of these days....

Chandler

Status
Not open for further replies.