Occasional Spark off the Chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass. Wine Guy

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2007
Northeastern Massachusetts
I was cutting up some smaller stuff today in my yard. To my knowledge there was nothing metal in any of it, nor was there any metal in the immediate vicinity. Twice I noticed sparks flying off the bottom side of the chain while I was cutting through some wood. I think the tension was fine because the chain moved easily around the bar when I pulled it. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Mass. Wine Guy said:
I was cutting up some smaller stuff today in my yard. To my knowledge there was nothing metal in any of it, nor was there any metal in the immediate vicinity. Twice I noticed sparks flying off the bottom side of the chain while I was cutting through some wood. I think the tension was fine because the chain moved easily around the bar when I pulled it. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Did the log have any dirt in it or did your chain hit any dirt?

Zap

I often see this when cutting the hardest woods. This happens more often than we notice, and from what I understand, it's bar on chain sparking and it's normal. We don't notice it as much because we don't cut at night or in dark rooms.

TreePointer said:
I often see this when cutting the hardest woods. This happens more often than we notice, and from what I understand, it's bar on chain sparking and it's normal. We don't notice it as much because we don't cut at night or in dark rooms.

This was maple I was cutting, so that part certainly fits. As for dark rooms and cutting at night, what do you mean? You're not seriously suggesting that some people cut wood during the day, are you? Where's the challenge in that? I even close my eyes for good measure.

Dirt. No worries.

Mass. Wine Guy said:

Thank you.

Never cut iron wood but notice the same thing with hedge.

dirt or chain/bar wear
kinda normal, imo.

I see it some times when I split with the fiskars. Kind of shocked to hit in the middle of the heartwood and see a spark come off. I assumed it was just some dirt.

Yup. Usually nothing to be concerned about.

Seen it plenty with locust, but that stuff has deep, heavily furrowed bark and sand gets blown into the bark over the years. Tough on chains. Reach for the file sooner is all.

Even on less dense wood I see the occasion spark. I've been carving a lot of pine, and the carving bars have to be run with a loose chain or you'll fry the narrow, hard-nosed tips. The slack in the chain can cause occasional sparks as you cut curves (yeah, I know, all you guys want to do is cut straight as you can LOL), and the chain rubs against the edges of the rails. Steel on steel at 60 MPH.... something's gonna happen. Doesn't seem to hurt the bar or chain that much, but they do need more frequent dressings and have shorter life spans than a regular bar. Usually the tip wears out before the rails do, so nobody worries much about it. Dang things are expensive, though. About $80 for a 14" Cannon carving bar with a laser-welded Stellite tip is the cheapest you'll ever see them.

Mass. Wine Guy said:
This was maple I was cutting, so that part certainly fits. As for dark rooms and cutting at night, what do you mean? You're not seriously suggesting that some people cut wood during the day, are you? Where's the challenge in that? I even close my eyes for good measure.

I cut at night and stop and scream periodically. Keeps the neighbors from poaching on me. They wave and smile, but at the same time they are pushing their kids behind them or down in the car. Never noticed any sparks at night. It is probably the lightning bugs keeping things well lit. Ever see a lightning bug hit by a high speed chain. Makes me laugh hysterically. I try to keep that in the woods. It upsets the neighbors when I run down the street at night with my chainsaw creaming lightning bugs. I guess they are worried a car will hit me.

JimboM said:
It upsets the neighbors when I run down the street at night with my chainsaw creaming lightning bugs. I guess they are worried a car will hit me.

Maybe they're upset because you haven't.

JimboM said:
Mass. Wine Guy said:

I cut at night and stop and scream periodically. Keeps the neighbors from poaching on me. They wave and smile, but at the same time they are pushing their kids behind them or down in the car. Never noticed any sparks at night. It is probably the lightning bugs keeping things well lit. Ever see a lightning bug hit by a high speed chain. Makes me laugh hysterically. I try to keep that in the woods. It upsets the neighbors when I run down the street at night with my chainsaw creaming lightning bugs. I guess they are worried a car will hit me.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing004.gif

The original poster's problem is caused by the chain running through the bar and wearing and loading against the sides. No big deal just keep the bar oil full! As for running with chainsaws that is also no big deal but you do not want to juggle them while running!! :gulp:

smokinjay said:
Never cut iron wood but notice the same thing with hedge.

Yup. And I notice quite often with Shagbark or Shellbark Hickory.That bark contains silica & is the roughest on chains that I know of.I always wear faceshield when cutting that stuff,been hit in the face with some of those hard plates of that are always loose on the tree.Use to leave quite a few battle scars lol.Even Honey Locust is a picnic in comparison.White & Bur Oak bark is very soft.

Intheswamp said:
JimboM said:
Mass. Wine Guy said:

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing004.gif
I closed my eyes to imagine this and blew beer out my nose. Funny +100! *must try soon*

DON'T RUN WITH A CHAINSAW! YOU MIGHT PUT YOUR EYE OUT!

And, if you break a leg, don't come running to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.