Odd Alcove – Advice Needed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
#1 and #3 would use a cathedral ceiling box. #2 has an 8 foot ceiling with a loft above it and it would use a regular ceiling support box, then class A on up. I’d end up building a chase around it as it goes though the loft and penetrates the roof.

Sounds good. You've been doing your homework. Best of luck with the new home.

Thanks again for all the replies. It looks like we are leaning towards #2 for the stove placement. However, a final decision will not be made until after we move in and get settled. I’m starting to think/dream about which stove we would want to put in. I read this forum almost daily. I know the Englander 30-NC has a great reputation for quality and price. It’s definitely a stove I will consider. We will most likely put our new stove on a raised hearth. I don’t see anywhere in the 30-NC’s manual for a minimum ceiling height. Am I just missing it? Other manufactures state 84 inches from floor to ceiling or 48 inches from top of stove to ceiling. Just curious if anyone has ran into this. Thanks…

The 30NC seems like overkill for your locale. I don't think you will need a 3 cu ft stove for CA heating. However, it would turn upstairs into a nice sauna if that is the goal. For long burns and a wide range of fire levels maybe look at the 13NC, Napoleon 1400, Pacific Energy Super 27 or a small Woodstock?

BeGreen – that’s not what I was asking about. I was concerned about minimum requirements from stove top to ceiling. It gets colder here than you think. I already heat with a 2.9 c.f. insert and it does a poor job of heating my current house. I know it just may be my insert. We like to be warm and I want some serious heating power to get the house warm when I get home at 6:00. We typically heat from about Nov 1 to Apr 15. This year it was into May. A look at low average temps don’t show much difference from where you live.

PM mike or give Englander tech support a call and ask to speak with him about the clearances but I can assure you that it will not be an issue with an 8' ceiling height.

I went over the records for Eureka and they averaged about 10 degrees above our average. It looks like your shoulder season is longer than ours and below 25 is very rare. Is that correct? This year has been a total fluke for most of the west coast. Had a fire on father's day. But when the days are 40-50, burning is more of a pain in a bigger stove. With a good 2 cu ft stove you will still be able to burn 24/7 at those temps. Not so in a bigger stove. It's start a morning fire, let it burn down, start again at night. That means lots of relights. For that reason, instead we use the heatpump when it is over 45. But for sure the big stove will keep you warm and offers great value for the btus produced. So if it feels like a good fit, go for it.

fossil said:
firefighterjake said:
...as Fossil mentioned with this location you could easily do an "out and up" install with the flue going out the wall and then up the side...

Wasn't me...I'm not a fan of that configuration unless it simply can't be avoided. I'm a fan of straight up from the stove to daylight if at all possible, or maybe a couple of 45°'s. Anything else just tends to restrict draft and make cleaning the flue more tedious. Rick

Sorry about that Fossil . . . misconstrued your earlier statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.