Ode to standing dead....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heffergm

Hearth Supporter
Nov 24, 2009
South Shore, MA
Oh standing dead, you warm my bones. I fell you today and burn you tonight, whether oak, elm or eastern white pine.
Although not quite as nice as three year red oak, you'll do the trick for now and keep me from going (more) broke.

I'll ignore the rot and the termites that awoke when you fell; keep them outside until ready to load into a burning hell.

Ok, I'm way too bored. Or maybe it's the fact that it's 80 in the living room making me feel odd. But after bucking and splitting a few more standing dead, I'll say this: three year old oak it isn't. But it's a damn sight dryer than the two year old rounds that my neighbor splits the week before burning season. He offered me some to get through the winter. After picking up a few splits that weighed a ton... I'll pass.

I hear ya...we burn a lot of standing dead when, weather permitting, it can be harvested. At least the top 2/3rds. I was eyeballing some today.

Saw the thread title and thought you must be talking about me.

My first year burning and I took a few standers myself. Cherry, Locust and Sassafras. Keeping a close eye on the moisture meter. Found a dead Locust last week that was lying there for about 15 years. Just one section was punky, the rest was ready to burn. Nice that Locust doesn't rought.

Status
Not open for further replies.