Off-gassing from double wall stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andreas

Feb 13, 2013
Has anyone else experienced this issue? I have a Woodstock Keystone connected to telescoping double wall stove pipe. Despite burning for months now, I still get an off-gassing type smell from the stove pipe. My only guess is that the outer pipe doesn't get as hot and takes longer to cure, but I'd think even at lower temps over this long of a period it would have stopped by now. I was thinking of burning some hot fires without engaging the catalytic combuster to try and bake it off, any danger in that to the flue or stove as long as the stove doesn't get too hot? Thanks for any input / advice!

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I have a Woodstock Keystone connected to telescoping double wall stove pipe. Despite burning for months now, I still get an off-gassing type smell from the stove pipe. My only guess is that the outer pipe doesn't get as hot and takes longer to cure, but I'd think even at lower temps over this long of a period it would have stopped by now. I was thinking of burning some hot fires without engaging the catalytic combuster to try and bake it off, any danger in that to the flue or stove as long as the stove doesn't get too hot? Thanks for any input / advice!
My stove is a non-cat, but I got paint smell from my double wall for a long time. Still do if it gets hot enough. I think the problem is that the paint on double wall takes a lot longer to cure off properly since it usually doesn't get as hot as the stove does. You would probably have to get the outer surface above about 550 or so for long enough to bake it enough.

You may want to get a probe type flue thermometer to measure the internal temps.

My stove is a non-cat, but I got paint smell from my double wall for a long time. Still do if it gets hot enough. I think the problem is that the paint on double wall takes a lot longer to cure off properly since it usually doesn't get as hot as the stove does. You would probably have to get the outer surface above about 550 or so for long enough to bake it enough.

You may want to get a probe type flue thermometer to measure the internal temps.
My experience exactly. Mine doesn't smell anymore except the occational time when I get stupid and let the internal flue temp get about 1200 before I realize and shut it done. :confused:

Reactions: Sprinter
My experience exactly. Mine doesn't smell anymore except the occational time when I get stupid and let the internal flue temp get about 1200 before I realize and shut it done. :confused:
Yup. Mine got to about 1200 or 1400 (internal) a few days ago before I caught it. It smelled then a little bit and that's after a season and a half of burning so far.

Reactions: tfdchief
Yup. Mine got to about 1200 or 1400 (internal) a few days ago before I caught it. It smelled then a little bit and that's after a season and a half of burning so far.
Same here. Mostly just the HOT smell though.

Dang. And here I start getting nervous when my internal flue temps start creeping over 800.
Nothing wrong with that. Just shows you're watching. It usually shouldn't be necessary to get the flue much more than that for good operation. But it can happen time to time. They can take it, it's just sacrificing some efficiency.

Reactions: tfdchief
Dang. And here I start getting nervous when my internal flue temps start creeping over 800.
Yeah I used to till I did it a few times and found that it really doesn't hurt anything. Not the best but it happens

Reactions: Sprinter
Status
Not open for further replies.