Off grid?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.First post here for me.
I have lived off grid here for over 10 years. My driveway is 750' long, and it would have cost a little less to have PSNH string poles to my house, and a lifetime of bills. Fak dat.
I have only 600 watts of solar electric, and live comfortably. My fridge is propane, water pump std shallow well jet pump, solar and wood dhw, cfl lighting, front load washer, etc. I use a 6 hp diesel/alternator to charge the batts. during long no-sun periods.
Conservation is the key.
The house is a 1500 sq. ft. saltbox built from the hemlock thicket previously here. The hemlock I milled on site and the pine I bartered for the logs. The windows and doors were either bought used or acquired through remodeling jobs.
I love being off grid. They aint plowin no steenkin mountain tops into the steenkin streams in W. Virginia for my house.
I am building another off grid house in the next town over. The pv panels go up tomorrow. Well, maybe not in the snowhttps://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/smileys/#
confused
not only is off grid do-able, it's being done.

Status
Not open for further replies.