1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Off grid?

Post in 'The Green Room' started by cmonSTART, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reguy

reguy New Member

Loc:
    lakes region, NH
    Hi all.First post here for me.
    I have lived off grid here for over 10 years. My driveway is 750' long, and it would have cost a little less to have PSNH string poles to my house, and a lifetime of bills. Fak dat.
    I have only 600 watts of solar electric, and live comfortably. My fridge is propane, water pump std shallow well jet pump, solar and wood dhw, cfl lighting, front load washer, etc. I use a 6 hp diesel/alternator to charge the batts. during long no-sun periods.
    Conservation is the key.
    The house is a 1500 sq. ft. saltbox built from the hemlock thicket previously here. The hemlock I milled on site and the pine I bartered for the logs. The windows and doors were either bought used or acquired through remodeling jobs.
    I love being off grid. They aint plowin no steenkin mountain tops into the steenkin streams in W. Virginia for my house.
    I am building another off grid house in the next town over. The pv panels go up tomorrow. Well, maybe not in the snowhttp://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/smileys/#
    confused
    not only is off grid do-able, it's being done.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.