1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

OFFICIAL: Post your leaf blower stove pipe cleaning pics.

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by mullet, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mullet

mullet New Member

Loc:
    VA
    Awesome job jamesdjs, I am just putting a copy here for reference.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mullet

mullet New Member

Loc:
    VA
    Awesome job krooser, I am just putting a copy here for reference.

3. jamesdjs

jamesdjs Member

Loc:
    western MA
    Krooser is the one to thanks for starting the leaf blower trick. If he didn't pass on what he learned the rest of use would be stuck cleaning the pellet stove the old way.
  4. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    The island of Rhum Boogie
    Can you leave the leaf blower on? To help with the draft?

Seriously, does this help with all the maint on a pellet stove, or just the flue baffles/passages. I was under the impression you had to practically disassemble the entire pellet stove for propper maint.
  5. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Be our guest, just remember when a hot ember catches the blower on fire and that ignites your house we will disavow even having known you.

The blower just helps suck some of the fly ash out, you still need to loosen it up, which may mean removing parts of your stove. It is very good at removing loose fly ash.
  6. imacman

imacman Guest

Running a brush or LintEater up & down the pipes, plus banging on the metal walls of the firebox some with a hammer will loosen a lot of ash, and the blower just sucks it out...works great!
  7. mullet

mullet New Member

Loc:
    VA
    I totally agree, it just took me a while to find his post. I just tried to get as much data from everyone into 1 thread.
  8. joefraser

joefraser New Member

Loc:
    Somersworth,NH
    Didn't get a picture of the leafblower in action but this is my set-up. As you can see the my neighbor's house is really close and we are on a major road. The cars pile up in front of the house as there is a light at the intersection. I attempted to blow towards the ground to keep ash to a minimum but there was quite a cloud of ash in the road at the beginning. I'll have to pick slow traffic days to do this.

I figured people were driving by wandering what in the world I was doing.

Attached Files:

9. krooser

krooser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waupaca, WI
    James... you're welcome... as I said before I learned this from my dealer who uses the blower to do cleaning on customer stoves. I thought WTF? when he told me how he cleaned it but I was amazed at the crud flying out of my stove after burning one ton and being totally clueless as to how to run a stove...
  10. IceNine

IceNine New Member

Loc:
    CT, by the water
    Would retrofitting some sort of a burlap sack at the business end the leaf blower help keep the dust of black death to a minimum? I'm in the same boat as joefraser where the houses are close together.
  11. watrskir

watrskir Member

Loc:
    Southern N.H.
    thats exactly what I did....put 3 pillow cases (each inside each other) and banded it on the exhaust end not to get the house dirty.....collected almost everything......oh ya..I wet the cloth also!!! worked great
  12. ffspeed

ffspeed New Member

Loc:
    Rome, N.Y.
    Thanks a lot for the pics. I have seen it posted more then once, talking about leaf blower on the stove pipe. I have been dying to ask what it was. Now I know, and didn't get laughed at for asking. Were those pic a little ex-stream. My neighbor is maybe 15 ft away.
  13. Sami

Sami Member

Loc:
    NW Connecticut
    Oh hell, in the Navy we would run walnut shells through the jet engines to clean the rotor blades. Me thinkith some pellets on the outboard side of the stove to scrape off the soot. Then I am going to adapt my 12 HP "Little Wonder" three wheeled leaf blower to the pipe just for Al Gore and the lady across the street with the white poddle hee hee hee..... so much for "cap and trade"

The guy that started this really might have something here.....
  14. sydney1963

sydney1963 New Member

Loc:
    Windham Maine
    If my clean out T is inside and the end of the vent pipe is outside, can I make this work for my set up as well?

Attached Files:

15. imacman

imacman Guest

Yep Syd, after you brush out the pipe and clean the stove as usual, put the cap back on the T, go outside w/ a step ladder, and hook to the pipe.
  16. krooser

krooser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waupaca, WI
    hey Mac was right... he CAN peek into your window if he stands on his tippy-toes!!!
  17. mullet

mullet New Member

Loc:
    VA
    HAHAH
  18. stallau

stallau Member

Loc:
    Southern ME
    It's a sunny but brisk day in Maine so lets climb a ladder and clean out the pipes after burning a little more than a ton for the season.

Enjoy and so much more fun than a brush !!!!!!

Attached Files:

19. Mr Fixit

Mr Fixit New Member

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    LOL you guys are nuts. With my luck, I would try that and destroy some little old ladie's laundry hanging on the line next door. I think I will stick with the shopvac method for now...
  20. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    Did the leaf blower cleaning again today. This is my 4th time. Got that black cloud for 2-3 minutes, then just a little gray. Tapped the stove pipes and opened and closed the stove during the process. It still amazes me how clean the stove is after this. Got a real hot fire after the cleaning. Shot a short movie of this, but not sure how to post to You Tube and then link it to this. Anyway, real pleased to have a simple method that does such a clean and easy stove cleaning.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.