1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

oh, its ON again, baby!

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by ScotO, May 19, 2012.

1. ScotO

ScotO Guest

After a big log delivery to our wood carving buddy this morning and NEARLY breaking my right wrist, my wood cutting partner called and said he and his woman were coming up with beverages and some wings to cook over the pit, so yeah its on again! We love our outdoor firepit! Anybody else hangin' at the firepit tonight?
    fox9988 and zap like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Blue Vomit

Blue Vomit Minister of Fire

Loc:
    eastern PA
    Getting an error Scotty, can't see it
  3. ScotO

ScotO Guest

sorry about that, for some reason my phone wouldn't send the pic?? Here ya go. Anyone else out back this weekend by the fire?

2012-05-19_18-42-04_857.jpg 2012-05-19_18-43-04_654.jpg
  4. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Looks like a nice "camp out".
    Cloudy, cool, windy & threats of rain here.
    Few fires during the week burning up raspberry cane & day fires for fun.
    Hope it'll to be warm enough soon to start evening cook outs & smores.
  5. ScotO

ScotO Guest

BD, the kids have been chomping at the bit to 'camp out'. So last night we did, and they had a blast. We did hot wings cooked over some hickory and oak, lots of s'mores and even some sparklers I had left over from last Fourth of July. Sometimes it seems that our backyard is the most used room at our house!!
  6. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    My thoughts exactly!

IMG_0648.JPG
  7. ScotO

ScotO Guest

OOOOHH YEAH.....I see a case of beverages or two at THAT fire! ;)
  8. smoke show

smoke show Guest

Maybe this don't count cause its from last fall.

640.jpg
  9. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Looks like good times there. Any pics of the chicken wings?
  10. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Fishingpol, I wanted to but I was the prep chef, the cook, and the sauce maker......didn't have clean hands the whole time I cooked 'em. Next time. They are FANTASTIC cooked over the pit! And I have a great sauce recipe, we made around 7 dozen all told.
    fishingpol likes this.
  11. ScotO

ScotO Guest

smoke show, there's something mesmerizing about looking at a fire. Makes me wanna drink 'beverages' every time I see the flames! Great pic, brother!
    smoke show likes this.
  12. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Gives me an idea for a thread. Been burning out back in Old Brownie for three nights.
    ScotO likes this.
  13. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Nice pit Scotty (you too Eatonpcat). Is that small sqaure section where you cook? (Drag small fire/coals over and place grill rack over)? I'm sure it was a great time, that was had by all attending ..

I have a Bon-Fire every year. The pile so far this includes a couch (or two) a bunch of pallets and ALL my scraps from cutting wood (way punky, gnarly crotch that wont split right, etc). The "pile" is about 6" tall and 12'-15' in diameter. We also have a small store bought pit, but with only a few fires (way Bigger than recommended ;) ) I have warped the bottom pretty bad. So I will be building a "Pit" here directly. Something like yours (rocks) or Eatonpcats (pavers).

Love the "grillin" section. I cant believe no one around here has thought about that! !!
  14. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio

If you do pavers...Line it with fire brick or a steel liner. All my pavers cracked from the heat.
  15. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Would that be your homemade smoker, BB?
  16. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Dexter, the square area is for the cooking, I made a homemade stainless grille that works great, and I also made a special hoe that you can pull coals off of the main fire with to cook instead of waiting for hours for the fire to go down. All I have invested in that Firepit is gas money and labor. The stones came off of my buddy's property on the mountain. I use that pit several time s a week, I got rid of my propane grille because it was collecting dust in the basement. I'll post pics and measurements of the pit as many have asked for them. BTW, I'd love to be at your place when you light that bonfire off! We used to do that at every other year at my pap and grams, great memories!
    DexterDay likes this.
  17. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Beginning of the weekend fire. It doesn't go out for the whole weekend.
    fire2012.jpg
    Eatonpcat, fox9988 and ScotO like this.