Oh No - Mole Holes !! What do we do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

This year we have had a chipmunk Invasion !!

A couple of weeks ago, I peppered the yard with Merit Grub and Mole Control but it did not stop this big hole dug just in the last day!!

Does anyone know what can be done about these varmints and their holes!!!

People claim it is due to the completion of Rt 111 bypass and the new lane being built on RT 93 from Exit 1 in NH.

The moles and chipmunks homes are being destroyed and they are trying to find new ones!

See pics below! Chipmunk on Stoop acting like he owns this home !!
Bag states Kills Mole Crickets!!

Attachments

• MoleHoleSC.jpg
    MoleHoleSC.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 519
  • ChipmunkOnFrontStoopEnlarge.jpg
    ChipmunkOnFrontStoopEnlarge.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 468
  • MeritGrub&MoleSC.jpg
    MeritGrub&MoleSC.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 471
Use a rodent smoke bomb from the box stores. Find all their holes, go out at night and toss a lit smoke bomb down there and cover the holes with stones. Run the garden hose down the hole after a bit to be double sure.

Pellet gun if you are not near any neighbors.

I have two woodchuck holes with an eviction date (or should I say execution date) coming up real soon. They have decimated my flower beds.

-Retired Guy - That Rodenator was awesome. Add a little fuel to the mix for a real show.

I like chipmunks. Moles...eh, not so much.

Retired Guy said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgztUzqaL3E&NR=1

That's cool!

fishingpol said:
Use a rodent smoke bomb from the box stores. Find all their holes, go out at night and toss a lit smoke bomb down there and cover the holes with stones. Run the garden hose down the hole after a bit to be double sure.

I have two woodchuck holes with an eviction date (or should I say execution date) coming up real soon. They have decimated my flower beds.

Thanks, that is much better instructions than on the package!!

I just found a couple reviews on how effective these are on Amazon. Not so good - automotive Road Flares work better !!!!
http://www.amazon.com/Revenge-Roden...iewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Hi, You are nearly better off buying smaoke bombs at local stores, they are cheaper. These DID NOT burn as long a time needed to remove pests, they burned only 10-15 seconds. I do not think I would buy these again, but it was worth a try. Please learn from my mistakes/mis-steps.
I did use an old type road flare (10 minutes burn time) that did solve my troubles, you can find these at hardware stores. GOOD LUCK with your pests.

Save your money. I received my Revenge Smoke Bombs today and after reading the instructions I went out in the yard in order to try them out. After clearing a good mole hole the first two bombs fizzled after the fuse ignited the body and the third bomb did produce a little smoke but not near enough to fill a mole burrow.I may try another smoke product, however if they do not work, I will go back to gassing Moles with an adapter to my push lawn mower exhaust in order to gas the moles that I have had much success with in the past but is considerably more time consuming.

Attachments

• MoleRevenge2SC.jpg
    MoleRevenge2SC.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 435
  • RodentSmokeBomb3sc.jpg
    RodentSmokeBomb3sc.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 458
  • RodentSmokeBomb2sc.jpg
    RodentSmokeBomb2sc.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 415
Road flare are cheaper and burn longer. The gas they put out is very similar to those other sticks.

You guys are workin too hard!
5 gallon bucket half filled with water
Hand full of sunflower birdseed thrown in water.
3 foot board for runway to top of bucket.
Place where you see them most and 4getaboutit.
Don't hire a lifegaurd!

Sidenote : If you have a birdfeeder, empty it till done trapping.

XactLEE said:
Don't hire a lifegaurd!

Wow, that sounds easy.

Here is a vid that explains just a precise mixture of 2% propane and 98% oxygen in the hole and then a spark to ignite!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=looijsJkqtc&NR=1

See pic of Dead Mole in Jar Below !!

Attachments

• MoleInJar.jpg
    MoleInJar.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 354
XactLEE said:
Don't hire a lifegaurd!

We had something similar we set out at our hunting camp for mice thru the winter, only we had to use antifreeze instead of water. It was actually pretty effective.

fishingpol said:

Hi fishingpol

Does it matter which end goes in the hole first? The top fuse end or bottom end?

Fuse end down. Smoke comes out that end. I usually let the wick burn down until smoke comes out before putting it down the hole. I also duct tape it to a long stick for woodchuck holes to get it way down in the hole. I'm not sure how deep chipmunk holes are.

I like the five gallon bucket set up, except I'd rather they go as quick as possible than swimming around for a while to they give out. It just isn't for me.

XactLEE said:
Don't hire a lifegaurd!

Hmm.. I wonder if this would work for the racoons under my deck?

HeatsTwice said:
XactLEE said:
Don't hire a lifegaurd!

On a larger scale like a 90 gallon juice barrel . Yes.

XactLEE said:
HeatsTwice said:
XactLEE said:
Don't hire a lifegaurd!

On a larger scale like a 90 gallon juice barrel . Yes.

15 years in the lawn and tree shurb buzz....If it works its MONEY! (RETIRED)

Don2222 said:
Hello

This year we have had a chipmunk Invasion !!

A couple of weeks ago, I peppered the yard with Merit Grub and Mole Control but it did not stop this big hole dug just in the last day!!

Does anyone know what can be done about these varmints and their holes!!!

People claim it is due to the completion of Rt 111 bypass and the new lane being built on RT 93 from Exit 1 in NH.

The moles and chipmunks homes are being destroyed and they are trying to find new ones!

See pics below! Chipmunk on Stoop acting like he owns this home !!
Bag states Kills Mole Crickets!!
It is easy. You just stuff up their little holes. The problem is getting someone to hold their little legs.

A guy at work just got about 15 of them with a hav a hart trap. The hav a hart feature wasn't really applicable, since a 5 gallon of bucket was ultimately involved. I forgot what he used as bait, but peanut butter and peanuts were involved.

fishingpol said:
Fuse end down. Smoke comes out that end. I usually let the wick burn down until smoke comes out before putting it down the hole. I also duct tape it to a long stick for woodchuck holes to get it way down in the hole. I'm not sure how deep chipmunk holes are.

I like the five gallon bucket set up, except I'd rather they go as quick as possible than swimming around for a while to they give out. It just isn't for me.

Hi fishingpol

Thanks for the info.

Is there a time of day or night that works better than other times??

Here is a good smoke bomb video !!

Attachments

• RodFlareInTheMoleHole.jpg
    RodFlareInTheMoleHole.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 334
Is there a time of day or night that works better than other times??

Right before dark so you can see what you are doing, but the chipmunks should be in the hole for the night.

I like chipmunks . . . moles I can live with.

Sadly for the chipmunks, my cats love them even more than me.

And sadly for the moles, while I can live with them my cats apparently have a problem with them living near by. :)

I like chipmunks too, in the clutches of a hawk's feet.

I've caught them in the havahart with no bait - they're just naturally inquisitive.

Hello

Well I used 2 smoke bombs on those 2 holes near the house. Also the 36 lbs of Grub killer is killing off their food supply.

Hopefully that should do it. If not I will try the road flares.

Thanks Everyone for all your information!

Status
Not open for further replies.