Oil an Auger? Oil a Combustion blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EarthStove

Jan 15, 2009
Northern MD
Our auger motor is making a sorta screeching noise on startup but then quiets down. Can these be oiled or greased? If so how and where?

Also, can/should combustion blowers be oiled?

Not familiar with your stove but my Enviro aguer will screech a bit if the lower brass bushing is wearing out.
For quick fix I mix a 1/2 cup or so of Vegetable oil in with about 1 quart of pellets. I put the wet pellets into an empty hopper. And run the stove like normal.
It quiets it down for about a month.

Eventually you have to replace the bushing.

As for the Combustion blower.......If the motor has oil ports it should get SAE20 oil. If not they are sealed bearings.

I oil my Convection blower and if you hold my feet to a fire I will admit to adding a drop or two to the Combustion motor bearings.

---Nailer--

My first two pellet stoves were Whitfield's and they had small ports/holes where you could oil them.

The dealer who sold me those stoves told me to use one or two drops/year of transmission fluid. I did this and never had to replace those motors. If you think about it, transmission fluid is a very good lubricant and can withstand some fairly high temps.

Found this oil at Ace Hardware for less then 3 bucks last weekend while seaching for spray graphite.Ive found a couple old posts about using this product on their electric motors and cant wait to try it. From rebuilding forks on motorcycles I know most automatic trans fluid is a 5w oil.Not sure how thick this Norvey turbine oil is,maybe someone will chime in..I listened to the fire gods and used 3in1 this year,worked very well.

Attachments

• Norvey Oil 003.jpg
    Norvey Oil 003.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 636
Status
Not open for further replies.