Oil or propane furnace ????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
with a new gas furnace of around 93% on up venting of exhaust is done with plastic pipe ( these are all forced exhaust units), which can be run vertical up the flue without removing liner just needs to be capped top and bottom around plastic pipe. Not a difficult deal. or piped out a side wall. Specs are available for horizontal runs pipe sizes for the length of run. Gone are the days of $5 k or more for a gas appliance flue system . I do not know where the current oil burners are at as I have not looked at them. OIl and NG are some what regulated price wise where as LP is not as witnessed a couple winters back when LP prices went through the roof. Some of that was gouging of course. I also do not know how much CNG is being applied to the heating fuel market, The infrastructure for CNG is lacking as opposed to LP.

You can get a lot more energy per gallon of liquid propane at 120 psi than you can for a gallon of CNG at 3000 psi. I don't expect to ever see CNG home heating taking off.

Status
Not open for further replies.