Oil tank for hot water storage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil tanks are typically rated for 1 PSI. Therefore they would be of value only for unpressurized storage. A lot of the Dumont and Madawaska wood boilers were installed with 2 - 275 gallon oil tanks (vented). About 10 years roughly after they were installed, there were frequently great deals on these boilers, usually free if you removed them as the onwers didnt want to repeat cleaning up their basement when 10 year old rusty water flooded the place after the tanks leaked.

Several years ago, the local town rebuilt a sewage lift station that had an emergency generator. The Diesel tanks looked just like a standard oil tank but they were stainless steel. I have asked around and looked around on the web, but still havent found the source.

joecool85 said:
Good to know, kinda puts the stop on that one.
Yes, Just say no!. If you can get them reasonable 500 gal propane tanks are the way to go. Also air compressor tanks are nice & safe, Randy

Singed Eyebrows said:
joecool85 said:
Good to know, kinda puts the stop on that one.
Yes, Just say no!. If you can get them reasonable 500 gal propane tanks are the way to go. Also air compressor tanks are nice & safe, Randy

I'll keep my eyes peeled for either/or.

JoeCool -

Keep your eyes pealed for the next D.O.T. auction. Another good source for pressure tanks.

I know where there are 2 500 gallon used lp tanks in my area for a reasonable price. If you're interested pm me

Status
Not open for further replies.