oil versus pellet stove calculator in Canada

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lefty

Nov 30, 2011
Maritimes p.e.I
just wondering members about the cost comparison of oil which I get for .80 / litre to the cost of pellets crabbies for 5.75 bag its a small bungalow with a 2002 enviro insert, I don,t mind the work, but now there is a shortage of pellets in the hub of the city [ P.E. I ] just wondering if there is a calculator out there

Don't no of any calculators but I heated my 1200 sq ft bungalow for about $900 last winter with pellets. This year will be a little higher because we turn the temp up a degree. Would of been about 3-4 tanks of oil last winter at a little over a dollar a litre. My pellet stove has paid for it self in the 3 winters I have used it.Even at 80 cents a litre I am way a head.

Reactions: lefty
just wondering members about the cost comparison of oil which I get for .80 / litre to the cost of pellets crabbies for 5.75 bag its a small bungalow with a 2002 enviro insert, I don,t mind the work, but now there is a shortage of pellets in the hub of the city [ P.E. I ] just wondering if there is a calculator out there
I think if you multiply your oil cost times 450, you'll get the comparable cost of a ton of pellets. So, 0.8/liter x 450 = C$360, while a ton of Crabbés is C$287.50, or about C$72 a ton cheaper.

Here is Hearth's calculator that I use...I think if you multiply your price per litre by 3.78 you will get the price per us gallon to plug in ($3.02/gal for your example) don't forget here on pei we pay full HST on pellets now so add 14% to your pellet costs and 5% to your oil so to plug into your formula use $426/ton for pellets and $3.17 for oil

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/fuel_cost_comparison_calculator/

Looks like you should be burning Oil my friend!

Last edited:
Oil is 0.80/l over there? I don't buy oil anymore, but my parents do, and I'm pretty sure it's still over $1.

It's quite possible it's at .80/ liter over there. Furnace oil has been cheap in Saskatchewan this year too, 82.9/ liter (well, tag 7 % onto that for tax) on our last delivery. Almost puts a guy in disbelief, considering last year at the same time it was ball park $1.19/ liter

Status
Not open for further replies.