OIL!@

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
raybonz said:
ControlFreak said:
Eleven years ago, I bought the house that we now live in. It's very well insulated and was heated by electric heat. I paid $16K to put in an oil-fired heating system. Now I regret disconnecting the electric heating system. I think electric is probably about half the cost of oil.

I am very glad that I put in the insert and learned how to heat with wood. Maybe I'll need to add another insert for the basement.

Dan

Hey Dan,
Here in Carver we have Nstar for our electric utility and it is very expensive.. From what I understand they are one the most expensive in the country..We pay about $200.00 per month and we do not heat with electricity! We do have an electric range and dryer and 6 people here so that may be a factor.. 95% of my lights are compact fluorescent so I have have pretty much done what I can.. Where in Mass. are you located? Do you have municipal power?

Ray

hey guys! i am in western mass an my bill is 230 on the budget!!! yes i have c/a but don't use it .. it was cheaper to put window units where i need them
electric range oven and dryer... but there is 3 of us soon to be 2/...all of my lights have been replaced... my bill was 400+

iceman said:
raybonz said:
ControlFreak said:
Eleven years ago, I bought the house that we now live in. It's very well insulated and was heated by electric heat. I paid $16K to put in an oil-fired heating system. Now I regret disconnecting the electric heating system. I think electric is probably about half the cost of oil.

I am very glad that I put in the insert and learned how to heat with wood. Maybe I'll need to add another insert for the basement.

Dan

Hey Dan,
Here in Carver we have Nstar for our electric utility and it is very expensive.. From what I understand they are one the most expensive in the country..We pay about $200.00 per month and we do not heat with electricity! We do have an electric range and dryer and 6 people here so that may be a factor.. 95% of my lights are compact fluorescent so I have have pretty much done what I can.. Where in Mass. are you located? Do you have municipal power?

Ray

hey guys! i am in western mass an my bill is 230 on the budget!!! yes i have c/a but don't use it .. it was cheaper to put window units where i need them
electric range oven and dryer... but there is 3 of us soon to be 2/...all of my lights have been replaced... my bill was 400+

Hi Ice,
No central air here either! Just high rates... I have 1-8,000 btu window AC and 2- 5000 BTU window AC's and last year we only installed the 8,000 in my bedroom... Unless you have municipal power the rates are wicked high..

Ray

raybonz said:
iceman said:
raybonz said:
ControlFreak said:

Dan

Hey Dan,

Ray

Hi Ice,
No central air here either! Just high rates... I have 1-8,000 btu window AC and 2- 5000 BTU window AC's and last year we only installed the 8,000 in my bedroom... Unless you have municipal power the rates are wicked high..

Ray

i am being robbed by WMECO!! their prices are high as everyone elses.. i wish wood could make electricity!!!!
this world is ridiculus ... do you realize we pay this stuff to make about .08% of other americans rich beyond our imagination!!!! just so they can say "my company turned a profit of 110billion" which i can't spend in my remaining lifetime!!!! while us guys are scrounging for wood to survive these guys get paid and get their oil/gas/electricity for FREE! drive small cars that cinsume as much gas as a gigantic SUV!!

We fight wars to make some poeple rich ...while the MAJORITY have some kind of strain....
it never gonna end.... to make matters worse we are destroying the planet!!! where are the planeteers!!!

I know it's too late this year, but I think it would be a good idea to have a "Zero Oil Day". One day in the winter where everyone in the nation does not use machines that consume oil unless absolutely necessary. The idea is to say f-you to OPEC and big oil companies - bring the price down or we do it more often. (one day a month or week).
Am I crazy, or would people participate?

woodjack said:
I know it's too late this year, but I think it would be a good idea to have a "Zero Oil Day". One day in the winter where everyone in the nation does not use machines that consume oil unless absolutely necessary. The idea is to say f-you to OPEC and big oil companies - bring the price down or we do it more often. (one day a month or week).
Am I crazy, or would people participate?

i would do it... but can we do it in the summer because i might be walking or running to work or riding a bike...and the 35 mile round trip would suck in the winter...lol

I was outside splitting wood yesterday when the oil man showed up.
I got 92 gallons at about $3.90/gal. My last delivery was a little more than two months ago....the oil is for heat only, hot water tank is electric.
I burn wood only nights and weekends. So far this winter I've burned about 192 gallons of oil and about 3/4 to 1 cord of wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.