OK I give up.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wmk1956

Oct 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
What is or when is the "shoulder season"?

fall or spring, when its warm enough outside that ya almost dont need a fire, or if ya do, ya dont need a big one

It is that annoying period before and after 24/7 burning when you have to keep kindling near the stove. For me it started Oct 1 (early because I had a new stove) and ended Dec 5th. I don't know when the spring shoulder season is going to start this year, clearly not there yet!

On the bright side, wood piles shrink at a much slower rate... but you can't discount the burn during this time (especially if you start extra early).

Gee, I thought shoulder season was when you spend so much time cutting firewood that you have chips on your shoulders...

Fall and spring when those of us who are burning 24/7 tend to have a lot of hot/fast fires just to take the chill out of the place . . . it's nice since you use less wood, but can be a pain to always have to get the fire going from scratch . . . and sometimes if you load up too much wood in the stove the house can become unbearably hot. I don't really mind the shoulder season though . . . in the fall it's a time when I get extra practice in remembering how to best start and reload a fire . . . and in the Spring it means that the warm weather is just around the corner.

Hard to nail down but for us it's a real cold morning when you need a fire and a warm 1000-noon time temps when you're glad the fire is out and there's no hot coals. That's when junk wood like willow and poplar really have a good firewood value to us.

Some folks go by generally warmer temps like a constant 50° as a shoulder season. btw we've been burning since the Bicentennial and never heard of that term before signing up here. Makes sense though.

savageactor7 said:
btw we've been burning since the Bicentennial and never heard of that term before signing up here. Makes sense though.

Yeah I think that started with BeGreen. It has always been a term in the travel industry meaning the times when vacation travel was slow.

I seem to recall from another thread here that the term may have originated in the travel industry. If you graphed out the demand, it would rise, peak, then fall, creating a curve that was the "head"/peak, and the rise before and fall after the peak would be the "shoulders".

It's the time in the late summer/early fall when I begin to remember what pain in the butt heating with wood is during the cold of winter, and thus I begin thinking about shouldering that burden. Then it's the time in late winter/early spring when I can begin to see the signs of warmth returning and envision the day soon to come when I no longer have to shoulder it. Those are my shoulder seasons...when I burn because I just feel like burning, not because I have to burn. Rick

Shoulder season is a PIA. Constantly lighting morning fires because the house gets cold overnight, but by midday it is too hot in the house so you let it go out. You may even build another fire after dinner because it is getting cold again. Repeat this cycle until you are sick of it. Good news is you will then either get to burn 24/7 or it is time to get back out and cut and split more wood.
Chad

It's all but a few weeks here, most years. I split kindling. Split some today, matter of fact.

RAY_PA said:
fall or spring, when its warm enough outside that ya almost dont need a fire, or if ya do, ya dont need a big one

OR this is when BK owners can still load up the stove with NO small fire fussing and JUST simply set the T-Stat dial to #1 and walk away till the next day. :) over and out.

north of 60 said:
RAY_PA said:

OR this is when BK owners can still load up the stove with NO small fire fussing and JUST simply set the T-Stat dial to #1 and walk away till the next day. :) over and out.

How sweet it is.

north of 60 said:
RAY_PA said:

Yeah, but your shoulder season is different
Tuesday - spring
Wednesday - summer
Thursday - fall
Fri - back to winter. :lol:

Jags said:
north of 60 said:
RAY_PA said:

Yeah, but your shoulder season is different
Tuesday - spring
Wednesday - summer
Thursday - fall
Fri - back to winter. :lol:

So with a BK one load of wood lasts not just one shoulder season, but both eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.