What Are We Burning This Season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We have a mixture of ash, yellow birch, maple, and oak, with some beech, cherry, and various softwoods too. Basically, if a tree species grows around where I live, it’s probably in my woodpile LOL.

Reactions: joop
I just looked at the long range forecast for our area, if it holds, we'll continue heating with White Pine until the end of the month. Last year we saved just under five face cord of hardwood by burning twelve face of pine and pellets.

This year is mainly cherry, maple, and apple. Also cut one large quaking aspen for shoulder season wood.

Cedar (juniper), ponderosa, pinyon. Looking for hardwood for winter but it's hard to find around here.
A lot of wood sellers here (ABQ) offer offer elm which I use almost exclusively and it can't be beat if it is at least 2 years dry, what I use is 3 years dry.

26CFE53D-FB49-401D-A87E-A4A652BE1E49.jpeg

495AF288-4246-4D5D-8860-65376113E077.jpeg

Have mostly hickory with a little ash sprinkled in for early winter then a mix of red/white oak for the colder days. Good thing is where I put it on the porch in the fall for winter is about 20 feet from my insert right out the door and it’s south facing so it gets blasted by sun most of the day. I can keep approximately 1.5 cords on the patio walls

A lot of wood sellers here (ABQ) offer offer elm which I use almost exclusively and it can't be beat if it is at least 2 years dry, what I use is 3 years dry.
Curious, what's average humidity in ABQ? Can't imagine it takes too long to dry wood.

View attachment 318017

View attachment 318018

Have mostly hickory with a little ash sprinkled in for early winter then a mix of red/white oak for the colder days. Good thing is where I put it on the porch in the fall for winter is about 20 feet from my insert right out the door and it’s south facing so it gets blasted by sun most of the day. I can keep approximately 1.5 cords on the patio walls
Curious, what's average humidity in ABQ? Can't imagine it takes too long to dry wood.
Although humidity can get high on occasional days, it usually averages teens to 50%. There are stretches of single-digit days as well. If firewood is split it will dry to "burnable" in less than a year, but if left 2-3 years the moisture will barely even register on a meter, if at all. I grew up in PA and I can remember having split oak still "sizzle" at 2 years old or more.

Reactions: zmender
I have a 1/3 of a cord left of some punky stuff that dried out under cover this summer and I've been taking in a stove load at a time till the snow flies. Once that hits I have a few cord of 2 year old maple that came out of the 100 year old tree that tried to destroy my neighbors house two years ago! I have some 1 year old maple from last spring that I could use if push comes to shove but I'd like to save that for next winter. I also get a fair amount of dimensional scraps from work I put through for for kindling/burning down coals.

Reactions: Riff and E_Z_Wind