What Are We Burning This Season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
What's everyone got lined up for the upcoming season?

I've got red maple and cherry for shoulder season plus red oak and ash for when the cold really hits.

Friday night I was burning pine, probably white pine and there was some Eastern white cedar branches too. Then on Saturday I was given a few days worth of really well seasoned maple and what looks like river birch. The only kick is all the pieces were like 10” long, lol. I’ll burn through it in a few days and then see what I find in the stack that looks interesting. My stacks for this year are pretty mixed up. I have no recollection of what I put in them, lol.

Reactions: Itslay90
Friday night I was burning pine, probably white pine and there was some Eastern white cedar branches too. Then on Saturday I was given a few days worth of really well seasoned maple and what looks like river birch. The only kick is all the pieces were like 10” long, lol. I’ll burn through it in a few days and then see what I find in the stack that looks interesting. My stacks for this year are pretty mixed up. I have no recollection of what I put in them, lol.
I got all maple that I’ll be burning this year

I’ve got pine for our shoulder season. Once we hit 24/7 burning I’ll switch over to three cords of two year old ash. Then I have a cord of four year old white oak that I’ll use when we get hit with the cold snaps.

Reactions: Riff
Mostly Elm with some Locust mixed in.

Mix of sugar maple, birch and beech with a bit more pine for kindling as I have a bunch of leftovers from cutting my big pine logs into boards. Most of wood is split smaller than most folks do as my wood boiler and storage could care less for a long burn.

Hard maple and red oak, along with all the rejected hardwood floor (also red oak) from the house build. That stuff stacks great and burns awesome. It's unfinished/raw and obviously kilned.

Pine and maple for shoulder season. Mix of maple, red oak, and black locust for the colder weather.

I have a cord of black locust and then we are flush with ash around here. I'll probably be burning ash for the next decade because of that damn emerald ash borer. Glad to have the wood, sad to see all the trees it's killing.

Red oak, cherry, black walnut, and sassafras

Cedar (juniper), ponderosa, pinyon. Looking for hardwood for winter but it's hard to find around here.

I have Pine, Ash and some Maple. Plus a bunch of slab wood I got last year that is a mix of Oak, Hickory, Maple and Birch.

Burning old dry rotted ash for the shoulder, then some 3 year old red oak and locust! Should be a hot burn winter. Unlike down the road, next few years mainly ash.

Burning old dry rotted ash for the shoulder, then some 3 year old red oak and locust! Should be a hot burn winter. Unlike down the road, next few years mainly ash.
Yeah I have some Oak that is finishing up Year 1 and some more that sat as rounds for a year and then finishing their first split year. Plus over a cord of Beech that was CSS this summer. So after this year, I should have the bases covered. Plus I have another 5 Dead Standing Ash trees in the wetlands on my property. Will Drop CSS one or two of those soon.

Have yet to start burning in NC but this year will begin with red maple, black cherry, sweetgum then transition to chestnut oak and post oak for later this winter.

Well me i have good mix of sweet/black birch, red and hard maple, red n white oaks, chestnut oak , black locust , ash , chestnut oak, black cherry and a tiny bit of apple and peach wood

Brought some of the Pine up to the house. (Store it in old Deck Boxes). I CSS this last Summer. Covered it with my favorite cheap cover (Dollar Store Shower Curtains) Test of two of the splits came in at 13 and 17%. The 17% was a fairly large split. Will be filling the second box with some of the Ash later today.

Yeah I have some Oak that is finishing up Year 1 and some more that sat as rounds for a year and then finishing their first split year. Plus over a cord of Beech that was CSS this summer. So after this year, I should have the bases covered. Plus I have another 5 Dead Standing Ash trees in the wetlands on my property. Will Drop CSS one or two of those soon.
Hate dropping dead ash, many rotten 8-10 feet up.

Hate dropping dead ash, many rotten 8-10 feet up.
Just has one come down near my driveway, it wasn't too bad, a small section that was punky on the edge.. Took that off with the splitting mall. The stuff I have in the wet part of my property, wicks up that moisture and rots faster

I do not discriminate, I will burn any/all types of wood as long as they are dry. My stacks are mostly oak, maple and ash with some fruit trees mixed in.

Reactions: Niro
I've got a good mixed bag this season. Right now it's silver maple, then ash, beech, black locust and shag bark hickory. Never really burned any beech so looking forward to it this season.

Reactions: patrickk222