OK.....I think I'm starting to get it!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Fowler

Hearth Supporter
Nov 6, 2008
Northern Michigan
Duh!!!.......so, although the salesperson seemed to imply that the Harman XXV is the next best invention to sliced bread insofar as home heating is concerned; that doesn't necessarily mean (also implied) that they'll burn with virtually no maintenance all winter. I was even dumb enough to come to think it was as simple as "light it, feed it and 'ferget it." With the exception, that is, of possibly having to dump the ash pan every month or so. Heck, I mean, the manual even said the ash bin would only need to be emptied about "once each ton of fuel burned"......that was my first eye-opener!

Having had my eyes opened further when you kind folks answered some pretty dumb questions on my part, here's another question:

How do I pull apart vent pipe that I have assembled with high temp silicone sealant? Is there some trick to that? Is it relatively easy to do? Over the last few days I have been getting a 3 blink failure code (ESP sensor in exhaust port) at least once a day.

I installed the stove too close to the fireplace because I also can't squeeze behind it to remove the rear panels.

And another thing, what (or where) is this T-fitting thingy located that I see people talking about on here? I can't find it in the manual anywhere. Apparently it is important to clean that too?

I'm diving in first thing tomorrow morning. First, move it further out so I can get behind it then, second, disassemble whatever can be disassembled (fan motors, etc), and then give anything I can stick a vacuum into a thorough cleaning.

Man, I sure wish the living room wasn't covered in light beige carpeting...........

Kinda gonna take your post one point at a time in reverse.
4. Good timing, diving in first thing in the morning. Hope you've got a long weekend off from work.
3.The T-fitting thingy is a cleanout tee, there should be one, should have a cap on one arm that will pop (or turn and pop) off. Have a pan under it to catch any falling ash when it comes off.
2. Pick up another piece of pipe (same brand) to put in when you re-install, so you can get behind it nexttime.
1.When you're getting the pipe, get a GOOD strap wrench to get the pipe apart with, you'll probl'y need it. Give pipe a quarter turn, should pull apart. Won't be easy, peel off old silicone, use new when you put it back together. (edit) Check to make sure you didn't put three screws in each pipe joint like you're supposed to. Do this before applying strap wrench.
Prior to any of this, lay in a good supply of beverages, send your lovely wife and kids to her mother's for the weekend, and clean up the mess before they get home. Have fun.

How do I pull apart vent pipe that I have assembled with high temp silicone sealant? Is there some trick to that? Is it relatively easy to do? Over the last few days I have been getting a 3 blink failure code (ESP sensor in exhaust port) at least once a day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck with that. I used the high temp sealant on my pipes it literally had to pry them apart. I cleaned the sealant off and then wrapped metal tape around my fittings instead. So far so good and I will be able to cut the metal tape with a razor knife if I need to disassemble the pipes for some reason. You should be able to find the metal tape in any hardware store. HVAC techs use it a lot.

hossthe hermit........

Thanks for the fast reply.

More damned shotguns and pistols around here than I can count what with Cowboy Action Shooting, Sporting Clays, Five-stand Clays, skeet, trap and USPSA Pistol (runnin' and gunnin') to keep us busy. Fourwheel drive in the garage and a lovely wife in the kitchen making fresh baked bread as we speak.

Thanks to you and OU812 (yup, she's in the kitchen) for the insights.

I learn good stuff every time I come on here. It is one excellent website.

I don't have that stove but these basics apply...

Sounds like your stove sits in front of the fireplace and is
vented up the chimney like mine? If so, I would strongly
suggest you install a Cleanout T. This will make cleaning
the pipe very easy and yes, life will be a lot easier if you
position the stove far enough out so that you can get in
there and run a brush up the vent. I've got the stove
to the adapter, to a 1 foot piece of PL vent into a cleanout T,
then 15' of flex going up and capped at the top.

Only time I have to break a silicone seal is when I pop the appliance
adapter off the back of the stove to remove/clean the exhaust fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.