ok now what chain?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
Its a 290 farmboss 325 pitch 18 inch bar..what's best chain to use...one chain I got with it was a stihl 26 rmc3 74

Take bar off the powerhead and look on the bar for a stamp indicating PITCH, GAUGE, and DL (number of drive links). You can use any chain from any manufacturer that matches those three criteria.

As you have stated, 26RMC3-74 decodes as follows:

2 = .325" pitch
6 = .063" gauge

RMC3 = semi-chisel, low kickback chain (M = semi-chisel, 3 = green low kickback design) Note: "low kickback" is Stihl's term for what many call "safety chain."

74 = number of DL

Reference: http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/identify.html

- - - - - - - -

Stihl low-kickback chains in .325 pitch are some of my least favorite chains. In .325, I much prefer either one of the following for faster, more aggressive cutting:

RSC3 = full chisel, low kickback (green) chain
RSC = fill chisel, regular (yellow) chain

(S = full chisel)

I prefer the regular (yellow) RSC chain.

Get 26 RSC 74......... the box will be yellow.....if it's green give it back.

HittinSteel said:

New user, stay with the factory stuff to cut your teeth on. Wear that chain out, then step up to the RSC. Prepare to be amazed.

Thanks guys. .I think ill buy one of the yellow chains tomorrow ..but when I look on eBay at the chain u mentioned that will be in a yellow box...the box is not yellow

The boxes don't necessarily have to have a yellow label or trim. It just matters what model the chain is. The actual new chain should have yellow tie strap somewhere on it. New low kickback chain should have a green tie strap on it.

HittinSteel said:

RSC3 is great chain if you want a low-kickback chain that's "Full-Chisel" and cuts extremely well. The difference compared to RSC chain is almost imperceptable unless you are plunge cutting. That said, I'd go for the 26RSC74 if they had it.

bought the 26 rsc 74 today...not a cheap chain thats for sure......now what file to buy..i dont see 325 files around..

steeltowninwv said:
bought the 26 rsc 74 today...not a cheap chain thats for sure......now what file to buy..i dont see 325 files around..

The proper file for .325 pitch chain is 3/16".

Some files are better (harder) than others.

TreePointer said:
steeltowninwv said:

The proper file for .325 pitch chain is 3/16".

Some files are better (harder) than others.

I've been totally happy since switching from Oregon files to SaveEdge files. I think they get a final sharpening with an abrasive slurry. They cut real nice.. and they will resharpen them for you (same abrasive slurry technique).

Jags said:
HittinSteel said:

New user, stay with the factory stuff to cut your teeth on. Wear that chain out, then step up to the RSC. Prepare to be amazed.

Thats what I was thinking as well, new to saws - plus I am cheap so no sense of buying another chain when mine came with two already. I've cut maybe 10 cord in the last two years, rotate between the two chains that came with my 290 (rmc3 safety chains) and hand filing they both look brand new still? My BIL has the same 290/20" and let me use his rsc chain last time and I could tell it was a decent amount faster cutting. I didnt notice hardly any more kickback or anything either. So how long do the rmc3 chains normally last?

OhioBurner© said:
Jags said:
HittinSteel said:

Thats what I was thinking as well, new to saws - plus I am cheap so no sense of buying another chain when mine came with two already. I've cut maybe 10 cord in the last two years, rotate between the two chains that came with my 290 (rmc3 safety chains) and hand filing they both look brand new still? My BIL has the same 290/20" and let me use his rsc chain last time and I could tell it was a decent amount faster cutting. I didnt notice hardly any more kickback or anything either. So how long do the rmc3 chains normally last?

Until you file to the witness mark on the cutter it self.

steeltowninwv said:
If you're a new chainsaw user, be careful with that chisel chain...kickback is more severe than with safety chain. Be aware of of where the bar nose is whenever the chain is moving. Chisel chain will also need more frequent sharpening.

Hi All,
I buy nothing but RSC because it's $18 for an 18" loop at my local dealer which is just about the same as the cheapest chain at Bailey's. It's also the sharpest and longest lasting chain I've used.

S

smokinjay said:

I got that part ;-) I meant how long time-wise... at the pace I am going now it feels like it will be many years :shut:

i went with the same chain for my 20" bar and it was a night and day difference so much to the point that i had my green chain and this one sharpened at my dealer (8.00 ea) and with out looking i threw one on and i was cutting about 30 logs 20-24 dia well after the 5th one i was like WTf after a few mins to make sure i was oiling and everything i noticed the green link well i threw on my yellow one and flew through the rest. Kick back isnt an issue unless you do someting causing it but it will do the same thing with the green style also

OhioBurner© said:
smokinjay said:

I got that part ;-) I meant how long time-wise... at the pace I am going now it feels like it will be many years :shut:

Chains can/will last many cord if you treat them proper. Too tight, aggressive filing/sharpening, hitting stuff other than wood are all variables that change "how long will they last". I guess what I am saying is that I don't know. I can get over 10 cord per chain pretty easily. The loops of RSC that I am running now are 4 or 5 years old (at 5 cords per year). Still looking good.

i used the saw with this new chain yesterday...and wow...what a difference..thanks guys

OhioBurner© said:
smokinjay said:

To hard to really say. I have about 2 dozen chains and only one is almost gone. 5 years now and at-least my 12 cords + milling, also do the big tree's for lots of others. I keep mine in good shape and w-d 40 to keep them clean. So, kept right a long time. (and Hitting no junk)

OhioBurner© said:
smokinjay said:

my record so far is, filed loop of chain to throw away worn out in 1 day-about 8 cords. to 64 cords 16" winter cut wood -no ice- on 1 loop chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.