OK, small story of local HW store

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife and I ended up in Rising Sun, Md this afternoon to pick up some stuff I needed for my truck. We stopped at the local HW store were there was a young teen age girl at the register. Upon checking out, I asked 'do you sell pellets this time of year'? She answered yes, we sell them all year. OK, 'what pellets are they'? WOOD! I just dropped my head and started laughing. The girl looked at me like I was nuts. So, my wife says; 'NO, What brand are they'? She said soft wood. At this point in time I was done. She probably thought I was a total A**HOLE for laughing at her. But I did end up getting a quote for $5.75 bag, which I said never mind.

LOL. Maybe they should start training these people before they start at the registers. Just cant help but laugh.

Last time I went to Home Depot and asked for wood pellets they lead me to the wooden dowel pins.

Hardware stores sell a lot of different items. You could also ask what kind of lock washers they sell and she would say round. I wouldnt have laughed at her. I would have asked if there was someone else I could speak with about the pellets. Not a very stunning story at all.

Franks said:
Hardware stores sell a lot of different items. You could also ask what kind of lock washers they sell and she would say round. I wouldnt have laughed at her. I would have asked if there was someone else I could speak with about the pellets. Not a very stunning story at all.

X2.......everyone cant be an expert at everything, even stuff they sell. For instance, we sell engineered lumber, but everyone at my store cant design a beam for a customer. This discussion can very easily morph into a discussion such as "Had a customer come in today and you wouldnt beleive what they asked me...." rant...and I submit there would be ALOT of them.....lol- life is interesting, and it takes all kinds! I guess I would rather have a salesperson tell me they dont know squat about something, rather than try to BS me. As long as they can find someone who does know something, Im good!

Any of you guys ever get asked to go down to the store and buy your significant other some feminine hygeine products? yea, babe in the deep, dark woods there!

I see this all over and the main reason is most think a pellet is a pellet. I only see expert pellet sales peeps at pellet houses and hearth shops. Even there I sometimes run into all pellets are the same from time to time.

This mentality does have some advantages. Sometimes you can get an awesome deal on a brand sold at the same price as the lesser quality brands. If you notice the bigbox stores sell all the brands that pass through there doors at the same price.

Approx 85% of people in the USA have no clue what a wood pellet stove is much less the difference in pellets. Yes she should have known her products a little better.

Eric

I agree, you can't expect a person making minimum wage to want to learn anything extra at that pay. Probably the only thing on there mind is where the next clothing store or party is at. Life is so demanding when you don't live in the real world yet! lol

oh well, the wife and I fount it humorous!
The whole point was I would have rather said let me get someone who can answer your questions! Yeah, to her a pellet was just a pellet, she had no clue what so ever. So, what ever it is. We have all seen or been in the situation in one way or another.

I can't leave this one alone.

OOOOOOOOOOOOK you go to the fast food joint and order chicken strips, fry's and a coke to go
The Kid at the counter asks if you want dipping sauce, Yess please.

You get your food, get in the car and Guess what, you have a double burger, onion rings and a Doctor pepper, Oh and remember the dipping sauce, well you got carmel sauce for the apple slices that they sell instead.

Also the bulk of these kids can't make change if their little lives depended on it.

The whole damned lot of this new batch are nearly illiterate and they get handed a diploma.

Hmmmmmmm whats wrong with this picture.

I don't expect everyone to be an engineer and have the answer to to highest level of technical questions, but the counter person should be able to answer what kind of pellets they are, BRAND.

I am nearly 60 now and have watched the crop of youngsters just turn into a sorry lot.

Yesterday I was driving to my store to open up for the day, and watched a whole batch of what was likely high school students crossing the street, and not one was dressed appropriately to attend class.

Their pants all had holes in them (Bought that way) with yet other inappropriate attire.
Hair of all colors (other than what humans should come with. (I dont consider green and blue OK)

I hate to be critical of todays youth, but most of the current lot have earned my caustic view.

Now don't get me wrong, there are those who have really got there collective #%^ together and will do well.

I fully understand the frustration.

I remember when my daughter started dating, and she anounced that she would be bringing her new friend home to meet us.

Shy young man who told me that he wanted to be an EMT and a fireman.

That was many years ago now, and that young man is now an EMT and a fireman and he married my daughter and they have two young sons.

Yessssssss I am a critical nasty demanding old Beotch that expects perfection, or at least a good stab at it.

I had a teacher in school, many many years ago that told me once, "If you dont have the answer, not a problem, just reply, I dont know, but I will find out right away"

If I had been in the store asking about the pellets and got an answer such as that given, I would have made a damned scene, Oh yeah buddy, a big one.

No excuse for a sloppy answer to a customer.

Down off soap box
Rant off

Snowy

Snowy Rivers said:
I can't leave this one alone.

OOOOOOOOOOOOK you go to the fast food joint and order chicken strips, fry's and a coke to go
The Kid at the counter asks if you want dipping sauce, Yess please.

You get your food, get in the car and Guess what, you have a double burger, onion rings and a Doctor pepper, Oh and remember the dipping sauce, well you got carmel sauce for the apple slices that they sell instead.

Also the bulk of these kids can't make change if their little lives depended on it.

The whole damned lot of this new batch are nearly illiterate and they get handed a diploma.

Hmmmmmmm whats wrong with this picture.

I don't expect everyone to be an engineer and have the answer to to highest level of technical questions, but the counter person should be able to answer what kind of pellets they are, BRAND.

I am nearly 60 now and have watched the crop of youngsters just turn into a sorry lot.

Yesterday I was driving to my store to open up for the day, and watched a whole batch of what was likely high school students crossing the street, and not one was dressed appropriately to attend class.

Their pants all had holes in them (Bought that way) with yet other inappropriate attire.
Hair of all colors (other than what humans should come with. (I dont consider green and blue OK)

I hate to be critical of todays youth, but most of the current lot have earned my caustic view.

Now don't get me wrong, there are those who have really got there collective #%^ together and will do well.

I fully understand the frustration.

I remember when my daughter started dating, and she anounced that she would be bringing her new friend home to meet us.

Shy young man who told me that he wanted to be an EMT and a fireman.

That was many years ago now, and that young man is now an EMT and a fireman and he married my daughter and they have two young sons.

Yessssssss I am a critical nasty demanding old Beotch that expects perfection, or at least a good stab at it.

I had a teacher in school, many many years ago that told me once, "If you dont have the answer, not a problem, just reply, I dont know, but I will find out right away"

If I had been in the store asking about the pellets and got an answer such as that given, I would have made a damned scene, Oh yeah buddy, a big one.

No excuse for a sloppy answer to a customer.

Down off soap box
Rant off

Snowy

X2

Well you did ask her 'do you sell pellets'. You should of asked if she sold wood pellets for pellet stoves. There are wheat pellets, barley pellets, bark pellets ect. My dad always said if you ask a stupid question, you get a stupid answer.

Gary

I think this one is about done folks. Sticking a fork in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.