ok so how do YOU guys start your fires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well i have the sample coming in so it should be here by the time the stove is done and i have to burn it in and we will see how it goes

I cut each half of a Super Cedar into 3 pieces with a knife. One of these, 1/6 of a SC, is all I need. Onto this I put some small splits and then some medium splits. Light it, shut the door, and 20 minutes later I can throw big splits on. 10 minutes later I can fire off the cat.

Starterloggs, available at Wally, BJ's, Lowes just about everywhere. I think i got a kickin deal last time when i bought them at Bj's, something like $21 for a box of 48. Plus, i only use a half of one. Then i break up that half and put one on each side of the stacked logs. I dont really use kinding either, just smaller logs. I would say i use about a 2" cross section. If i have dry wood, i use any size. I never had an issue getting a fire started.

I make my own firestarters from paraffin and sawdust. But when I run out, or don't use them I light the furnace with a top down fire. A few medium splits on the bottom, a couple smalls on top then kindling and some newspaper bows on top. Light the top, crack the door and within 10 minutes its raging.

I use gas lots and lots of gas and one match. Just kidding I make fire starters. Buy little paper dixie cups at Sam's, bars of parrifin wax from Hobby Lobby and use left over sawdust.

Starting a fire, I use crumpled newspaper under the splits. Might use some small kindling or splitting scraps. Bark is good for a quick warm up of the stove.

If there are no coals at all, I use a very small ball of newspaper and fine (matchstick size) kindling, right in front of the air intake. I light the paper, then when it gets going I start to add progressively larger kindling until I get to about small split size (1- 1 1/2"). I put three small splits criss-crossed on the fire and close it down for a minute. When I hear it take off (I don't have glass in my stove to see the fire), I open the door and add two more splits about 2-3" in diameter. Then I come back in five minutes or so and fill the stove. Takes maybe ten minutes out of my life.

I will be trying the top-down method for cold starts this year. I was initially very skeptical, but I tried it and am now a convert. Starts great and burns clean from the get-go. It is practically foolproof on an open fire, I can only imagine it will be better inside the confines of an enclosed firebox.

no man said:
I use gas lots and lots of gas and one match. Just kidding I make fire starters. Buy little paper dixie cups at Sam's, bars of parrifin wax from Hobby Lobby and use left over sawdust.

The sad thing is that every year we hear of some one (often a teen) who tries to light a fire in the woodstove by using gasoline, Coleman fuel, etc. and gets severely burned. . . .

Wow. You'd think somewhere between thinking up the idea of that and kneeling in front of the wood stove getting ready to strike the match. A light
bulb would come on and they would say. I'm about to ignite highly flamable liquid in a confined space maybe not a good idea. I wonder if those
are the same people who burned the hair off their head because they put to much lighter fluid in the grill and stood a foot away from it when they lit it?

I make my own by dunking double walled cardboard in melted candle wax. They work wonderfully well, and are cheap, almost free.
Failing this, I cut up waxed cardboard boxes (fruit boxes) into 2x3" squares and do the same.
Two usually get the fire going along with some very dry kindling, 2 or 3 pieces.

My two cents worth.

firefighterjake said:
no man said:

The sad thing is that every year we hear of some one (often a teen) who tries to light a fire in the woodstove by using gasoline, Coleman fuel, etc. and gets severely burned. . . .

Thirty years ago my wife came home shaking her head. The husband of a woman she worked with had gotten fired that day and came home and started drinking. Decided he wanted a fire in the fireplace to drown his sorrow and used gasoline to start it. Burned the whole end off of a beautiful new house.

Top down method. Nothing paid for. Splinters from splitting , pieces of 2X4's split down to 1/4 in. and under that small splits
in log cabin layers. One newspaper page crumpled on top plus a match. 20 minutes later it's ready for the real wood.

Gark said:
Top down method. Nothing paid for. Splinters from splitting , pieces of 2X4's split down to 1/4 in. and under that small splits
in log cabin layers. One newspaper page crumpled on top plus a match. 20 minutes later it's ready for the real wood.

Do true top down and four or five hours later it would be ready for more wood. Varying based on firebox size. You be just making a coal bed.

I use dryer lint and egg cartons, pour a little wax over them. One egg starts a fire. I will make 2 dozen at a time and make 2 dozen fires. Once you starting burning all day you do not have to restart as often. Paper and a little brown cardboard works good. Also if you have some extra pallets you can cut them up for kindling. I usually just use splitting scraps for the kindling.

Status
Not open for further replies.