Ok so I have an old smoke dragon as they call the older stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Travis Clark

Jan 11, 2019
Central time zone
It's an old brown porcelain wood coal combo stove that was manufactured by the EAGLE FOUNDRY COMPANY over in Belleville ILL. I don't know mutch about the stove itself because it was gifted to me by a friend that bought it used from an Amish stove shop around where I live it's not one of those newfangled fancy EPA stoves either it's one of the old time stoves but I can get it to burn just like an EPA stove wood burn I put nothing but seasoned wood in it and the smoke that comes out is a very light white colored do invisible.to where it looks like heat waves is just coming out depending on the type of wood I put in it I have tried different things different methods but for some reason I don't know why it's doing it I think it might be the wood itself from what I have researched but if I put a load of straight sugar maple into it AKA hard maple the smoke that comes out of the chimney is anywhere from a light gray to a dark gray any idea why this particular type of wood produces this color of smoke when I burn it in my wood stove when all the other Woods I burn is either a very light White two invisible.
1547243519313-130917108.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
sugar content? burn sugar turns to carbon

sugar content? burn sugar turns to carbon
That's what I'm wandering if it's just the wood it's self from what I have researched sugar maples is one of the few trees that is a resinous tree has a bunch of resin in it like your Cedar and your Pines and those kind of trees so I'm kind of wondering if it isn't the resin content that's in the sugar maple that's making the off colored smoke, could be suger content in it don't help it's ok I like burning it put out really good Heat actually it puts out as much heat as a red oak does and has a really nice smell to it also real sweet and sugary I was just kind of wondering what would be causing the smoke to be the color it was but I think between a combination of the sugar and the resin that might be why

It's an old brown porcelain wood coal combo stove that was manufactured by the EAGLE FOUNDRY COMPANY over in Belleville ILL. I don't know mutch about the stove itself because it was gifted to me by a friend that bought it used from an Amish stove shop around where I live it's not one of those newfangled fancy EPA stoves either it's one of the old time stoves but I can get it to burn just like an EPA stove wood burn I put nothing but seasoned wood in it and the smoke that comes out is a very light white colored do invisible.to where it looks like heat waves is just coming out depending on the type of wood I put in it I have tried different things different methods but for some reason I don't know why it's doing it I think it might be the wood itself from what I have researched but if I put a load of straight sugar maple into it AKA hard maple the smoke that comes out of the chimney is anywhere from a light gray to a dark gray any idea why this particular type of wood produces this color of smoke when I burn it in my wood stove when all the other Woods I burn is either a very light White two invisible.View attachment 237977
There is allot more to modern wood stoves than not spewing tons of smoke. They can also burn like that while turned down low and even at higher heat output their stack temps will be much lower.

The reason yours doesn't smoke is that it is a coal stove feeding air under the fire which makes wood burn extremely hot and fast. That wastes tons of heat out the stack.

There is allot more to modern wood stoves than not spewing tons of smoke. They can also burn like that while turned down low and even at higher heat output their stack temps will be much lower.

The reason yours doesn't smoke is that it is a coal stove feeding air under the fire which makes wood burn extremely hot and fast. That wastes tons of heat out the stack.

It smokes some times depends on what wood I load Into it. It's a combo I can burn wood or coal but because I don't have a way to get coal I just burn wood as for the bottom draft it stays shut only open it to start the fire get the stove and pipe to temp then shut it down all the way and just use the top air draft damper on the stove itself and use the chimney damper to control the fire