Ok, so you have given the oil and propane guy the boot what is next?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also trying to decrease electrical load, I want to go below 400 KWh per month on average and am currently at 443 KWh per month.

month of feb we used 720, last year feb 890 :eek: bill was $85.23 which equates to $.118375 per KWH

What are the rates like up there in Standish?

month of feb we used 720, last year feb 890 :eek: bill was $85.23 which equates to $.118375 per KWH

What are the rates like up there in Standish?

Well that depends upon who you get your 'tricity from but mine was at $0.148257 per KWh there was a rate change in the last one. Next month will be completely at the new rate.

Smokey,

Do you get yours from the Standard Offer or did you switch? I changed to Electricity Maine and my bill dropped about $20.

Smokey,

Do you get yours from the Standard Offer or did you switch? I changed to Electricity Maine and my bill dropped about $20.

Nope standard offer, the PUC changes the provider on a regular basis and the current difference between Electricty Maine and the new standard offer is peanuts.

Well that depends upon who you get your 'tricity from but mine was at $0.148257 per KWh there was a rate change in the last one. Next month will be completely at the new rate.
At least you got choices. Round here the choice is electricity or none.

I am still waiting to get my first bill with electricity Maine. My electic bill is ridiculous. Dropped $40 lat month with no known changes in use. I think I have a major use issue with my well pump. I have a lot of phantom use, but when I did the kill o wat thing, it couldn't measure a cost saving at all

A co-worker of mine had outrageous electric bills on his newly purchased house - he traced it to his well pump. It was a submerged pump, and one of the wires had damaged insulation and was bleeding to ground all the time. The wire appeared to have been damaged when it was installed. The previous owner of the house must have paid thousands of dollars over the years for nothing...

Where I am in PA we have some choice, but they are limited. last March was over 1600KW this year 610KW price is .1409 per plus I have 2 outdoor lights that are $21.00 a month, average daily temp went up to 40 from 34 and there were 4 more days in the billing cycle. Average monthly is 754KW trying to lower that and I think the pellet stove will help with that next winter. Used probably $500.00 of LPG in the gas log that I put in last November, so the electric savings were eaten up by the LPG and that was the reason for buying the pellet stove. More work but should run far cheaper than the gas log/electric combo of this winter and if it gets cold next winter I think the savings will be more noticeable.

I have oil/hot air in my garage, would love to get away from that but it cost me $675.00 to heat it this winter, used about 170 gallons, garage is large enough to put 6-7 cars in if it was empty and has 14 foot ceilings, I did took advantage of the tax break a few years ago and had a lot of stuff blown into the attic/rafter area.. I keep the temp low maybe 48-50 unless I plan on working in there and even then it is not that bad at 50. Thought about a pellet furnace but not sure it would cost effective, not to mention the added maintenance.

If you have a phantom load of just 1 watt you just kissed 10 cents a month good by at the old rate save$ if you have multiple critters like dvrs hooked up to multiple idling tvs you have a large phantom load.

I kiss a $1.00 a month good bye with my cable modem.

I have no idea what my router is using (I've got to get a meter and check it).

I also use a t-stat controlled water heater for the birds and that can suck up a good amount of 'tricity.

I don't know what you have for computer equipment but that stuff can suck it really well.

I've done a good job cutting the electrical use of the pellet stove down, the newer blowers have better motors on them.

But to drop $40.00 you had to drop about 265 kWh in usage or 8.8 a day or 336 watts per hour, that is close to 10 dvrs, cable boxes, or older tvs just sitting there doing nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.