OK to oil air control lever?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albertj03

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 16, 2009
Southern Maine
The air control lever on my my stove doesn't slide smoothly anymore like it used to. It's very annoying and makes it difficult to set it at exaclty where I want it. Is it ok to spray a little WD40 in there? Probably not a good idea to do this while the stove is running or even hot unless I want a fireball blowing the glass out. Thanks in advance for the help.

You can spray WD-40 in there, and within a few minutes of exposure to high temp, it will mostly have just evaporated away and it'll be just like you never did anything at all. Graphite powder is what you want to use. Rick

I used a little blast of Liquid Wrench over a year ago and it's still
smooth as can be. It's the blast of air more than the lube that helps.

Disclaimer:
We don't condone the spraying of any petroleum based products
into a lit stove.

EDIT: I don't intend to contradict Fozz but it worked for me.

Powdered Graphite. While you are at it, get every lock in the house with it and any fishing reels too.

Matt

Thanks for the info. I'll have to pick some up next time I'm out. I assume you can get this at any hardware store or Homedepot?

Graphite powder . . . and yes . . . you can pick it up at any hardware store. Should last several weeks to months before you need to reapply . . . and as mentioned once you see how well this stuff works you might want to put some into your locks. Great stuff.

I have no problem with what anybody uses
but if you have to do it every year, you may want to
re-evaluate what the real problem is.

I think that whatever you put on it, it eventually
degrades and becomes part of the problem.
For myself, the answer was to just blow it out.
I burn 24/7/210+, it's been well over a year, and
I wouldn't want it to slide any easier.
Maybe it won't work for you but if it does, your
life will be just a little easier.

Thanks - I'll try blowing it out first and if that doesn't help I'll get the graphite powder.

albertj03 said:
Thanks - I'll try blowing it out first and if that doesn't help I'll get the graphite powder.

Hey Al-
Please let us know if it works for you or not.
Thanks-
Kenny

Update - I tried blowing air into the opening around the air control lever with minimal results if any. I finally bought some graphite powder and after 3 or 4 puffs of that the lever is now sliding like it did the day I bought it - smooth as a baby's bottom. I will now always have a tube of this stuff on the work bench. Thanks for the help everyone.

To the older VC experts, what would you use for the Thermostat in rear bottom of the stove to move more smoothly. I have the stove in between stone walls so getting to the thermostat flap will not be easy, it was out in a garage for years so think it is grungy but works but not smooth at all.

A good cleaning would help. Then spray with silicone (while stove is cold).

clean with what?? I do not want a puff of fire after I clean it up.

albertj03 said:
The air control lever on my my stove doesn't slide smoothly anymore like it used to. It's very annoying and makes it difficult to set it at exaclty where I want it. Is it ok to spray a little WD40 in there? Probably not a good idea to do this while the stove is running or even hot unless I want a fireball blowing the glass out. Thanks in advance for the help.

I use Never-Seize to lube my hinges and damper threads on my stove.. It can take lots of heat but beware it will stain clothing etc. if you get it on you...

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.