Okanagan Douglas Fir pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's Mr Warms quote on the sample for a review. Seems he's sold them all out for now! The nerve even! >:-( O'well!

you will get a couple of sample bags when I get more into NE…..no sense getting everyone hot and bothers (no pun intended) till I can fill the need …..that will happen this year sometime….

I'm glad Branson4720 and others shared there findings. Pretty sure we can bank these DF's in the good stuff column. ;-)

All this talk of DF got me all hot n horny every time I see those pics

I got offered some last fall I declined for the cost. Couldnt justify burning them at 335 a ton. I see this being a cash cow for dealers.

I'll probably buy some this year :)

Salty said:
All this talk of DF got me all hot n horny every time I see those pics

I got offered some last fall I declined for the cost. Couldnt justify burning them at 335 a ton. I see this being a cash cow for dealers.

I'll probably buy some this year :)
ME TOO! As soon as they are available :)

So are they available yet? :) :)

Salty said:
So are they available yet? :) :)

I sense a bit of impatiance there salty!

From what Mr Warm has passed on, Maybe by late March or early April. I'm sure he's on it. Said it only took 2 or 3 days to sell out the 50 tons. I also think having a review to point peeps to is a plus for his sake.

We want the dougies douglas!

I need a ton personally to test them just because i'm such a nice guy

LOL I gotta try right?

Branson4720 said:
j-takeman said:
Branson4720 said:
j-takeman said:
Branson4720 said:
Branson4720" date="1327983853 said:
hotdawg" date="1327907094 said:
Branson4720" date="1327876706 said:

Here's my current stash of Okie DF's.

Wow! Where did you get these pellets?? Can you share your source? I don't really need pellets but those are some amazing looking bags! I hear amazing things about the Blazers and you're saying these are better then the Blazers? YOU HAVE TO TELL US WHERE YOU GOT THEM! Inquiring minds are going crazy here!

I got my ton of Okie DF's from a local dealer who I have known for many years. It was the only ton that he had. As of right now I don't believe he has any info on getting any more. If he does get some , I will let everyone know so we can share the score! ( and give him some business!)..... If you read "Mr. Warm's" quoted email you can plainly see all the current info regarding these exalted pellets! Yes, in my opinion they are better than Blazers.....this is MY opinion, not everyone's. More consistent size, density and heat output. Don't get me wrong..... the Blazer's that I have burned in my 17 year pellet burning "career" have put out some super duty amounts of heat, I just like the Okie DF's better. In all fairness, I think that there are many other pellets that beat the Blazers. I have another new fave.....North Idaho Energy Blended Firs. These things kick butt!!!! Very close to Okie DF's. And that's saying a lot. You can purchase them in Mass. Very expensive (335/ton), but, if you're into the exotic stuff like I am, you'll love 'em. I have NEVER seen the stove glass stay absolutely spotless for 2 whole bags of fuel....Thay burn like an Acetylene torch! Kinda scary. Everyone should remember one cardinal rule of pellet burning....."everyone's results will differ depending on stove type, OAK or not, cleanliness of stove/venting ,Etc., Etc.......

These are VERY good!

Dang! Branson4720, Where'd you score those? ;-) I thought I was the only one that flipped over the douglas fir pellets, But you seemed to be hooked far worse than I. :cheese:

Actually, my wifey picked up 15 bags for me@ Robbins in Oxford. I LOVE the west coast stuff! Back in the day I loaded up on 10 tons of New England Canadians out of Palmer.....those were some of the warmest winters my house has ever seen! :)

Got to say you know your pellets! And your wife takes good care of your pellet stash. ;-)

I liked the NEWP green supreme's. My first choice in softies for a good while before they closed the plant. HD spoiled us with Blazers for a season or 2, But that dried up. So I had to scrounge some others like Spruce Pointes. Prices on the softies has made it hard for me to afford them since I've been bragging them. Should have kept my mouth shut! But I couldn't stand the peeps thinking softwoods were bad for there stoves. Had to express my 2 cents. Will have to chat pellets one of these days! ;-)

Ah, the old softwood pellet myth!! :shut: Those who know the truth will be happiest! When I purchased those 10 tons of New England Canadians they were the first month of bagging @ the Palmer plant in the Tan and Green New England bags. If I recall correctly they were from a sister company of Pinnacle. I originally purchased them after burning 2 tons of Pinnacles the year before that I purchased from someone out of Holden or Rutland ,Mass.....I forget. I was so impressed that tonnage was needed! Man, haven't seen or heard of Pinnacles in this area since then ( 2003-2004 ish). They were the ones in the white and yellow bag. Those bags are long gone and in the dump by now.....but believe it or not, I still have a bunch of New England Canadian bags in a stack for Bathroom trash can use that still have some fines in them and smell just like they did then! :) Now that is definitely too much bizzare information! :lol:

What Myth? I'm about to but a ton of Oakie softwood pellets. Should I be worried?

Md2002 said:
Branson4720 said:
j-takeman said:
Branson4720 said:
j-takeman said:
Branson4720" date="1327985020 said:

Wow! Where did you get these pellets?? Can you share your source? I don't really need pellets but those are some amazing looking bags! I hear amazing things about the Blazers and you're saying these are better then the Blazers? YOU HAVE TO TELL US WHERE YOU GOT THEM! Inquiring minds are going crazy here!

I got my ton of Okie DF's from a local dealer who I have known for many years. It was the only ton that he had. As of right now I don't believe he has any info on getting any more. If he does get some , I will let everyone know so we can share the score! ( and give him some business!)..... If you read "Mr. Warm's" quoted email you can plainly see all the current info regarding these exalted pellets! Yes, in my opinion they are better than Blazers.....this is MY opinion, not everyone's. More consistent size, density and heat output. Don't get me wrong..... the Blazer's that I have burned in my 17 year pellet burning "career" have put out some super duty amounts of heat, I just like the Okie DF's better. In all fairness, I think that there are many other pellets that beat the Blazers. I have another new fave.....North Idaho Energy Blended Firs. These things kick butt!!!! Very close to Okie DF's. And that's saying a lot. You can purchase them in Mass. Very expensive (335/ton), but, if you're into the exotic stuff like I am, you'll love 'em. I have NEVER seen the stove glass stay absolutely spotless for 2 whole bags of fuel....Thay burn like an Acetylene torch! Kinda scary. Everyone should remember one cardinal rule of pellet burning....."everyone's results will differ depending on stove type, OAK or not, cleanliness of stove/venting ,Etc., Etc.......

These are VERY good!

Dang! Branson4720, Where'd you score those? ;-) I thought I was the only one that flipped over the douglas fir pellets, But you seemed to be hooked far worse than I. :cheese:

Actually, my wifey picked up 15 bags for me@ Robbins in Oxford. I LOVE the west coast stuff! Back in the day I loaded up on 10 tons of New England Canadians out of Palmer.....those were some of the warmest winters my house has ever seen! :)

Got to say you know your pellets! And your wife takes good care of your pellet stash. ;-)

I liked the NEWP green supreme's. My first choice in softies for a good while before they closed the plant. HD spoiled us with Blazers for a season or 2, But that dried up. So I had to scrounge some others like Spruce Pointes. Prices on the softies has made it hard for me to afford them since I've been bragging them. Should have kept my mouth shut! But I couldn't stand the peeps thinking softwoods were bad for there stoves. Had to express my 2 cents. Will have to chat pellets one of these days! ;-)

Ah, the old softwood pellet myth!! :shut: Those who know the truth will be happiest! When I purchased those 10 tons of New England Canadians they were the first month of bagging @ the Palmer plant in the Tan and Green New England bags. If I recall correctly they were from a sister company of Pinnacle. I originally purchased them after burning 2 tons of Pinnacles the year before that I purchased from someone out of Holden or Rutland ,Mass.....I forget. I was so impressed that tonnage was needed! Man, haven't seen or heard of Pinnacles in this area since then ( 2003-2004 ish). They were the ones in the white and yellow bag. Those bags are long gone and in the dump by now.....but believe it or not, I still have a bunch of New England Canadian bags in a stack for Bathroom trash can use that still have some fines in them and smell just like they did then! :) Now that is definitely too much bizzare information! :lol:

What Myth? I'm about to but a ton of Oakie softwood pellets. Should I be worried?

Absolutely NOT!! :lol: The old Softies myth refers to people who used to feel that burning softies in your stove was like running straight Pinus strobus ( White Pine) in your woodstove. I'm pretty sure that myth was de-bunked along time ago. Softwood pellets ARE NOT softwood cordwood splits. Buy 'em with confidence! :) Burn 'Em with great results!

Md2002 said:
Branson4720 said:
j-takeman said:
Branson4720 said:
j-takeman said:
Branson4720" date="1327985020 said:

These are VERY good!

Myth busted and I have proof in my reviews. Softies rock! Burning them since approx 2K. I usually hunt them first unless a top shelf hardwood is more affordable.

But you did try them first? Right! ;-)

EDIT!
Dang, I did it again. Got to stop branggin these softies. One more I'll have to fight with to get some. Plus probbly will raise the prices again too!

Yes, I tried them.... and the OAKIES have been the best to date as far as heat. Ash content and clean is about the same as some others. The flames don't seem to get as high but they were very hot, and the cheapest good pellets I can get right now. I just started burning New England hardwoods today and they seem to heat the house a little better than Oakies but they don't seem as hot when your standing next to the stove.. of course it was 57 degrees out today...

spaly said:
East Coast Lumber in Hampstead NH has Okie's for $389.00 ton. I'll pass buying from them. :)

East Coast lumbers $389 price is for a 65 bag pallet. So per ton price is actually $300. Not the cheapest I have seen, but certainly not insane.

j-takeman said:
spaly said:
East Coast Lumber in Hampstead NH has Okie's for $389.00 ton. I'll pass buying from them. :)

East Coast lumbers $389 price is for a 65 bag pallet. So per ton price is actually $300. Not the cheapest I have seen, but certainly not insane.
That sounds much better at 300 a ton. I will pick up a ton tomorrow morning at that price, can't wait for the Okie's. :):) thanks

$300 a ton seems to be about the going rate from what ive seen. I contemplated purchasing them but was hesitant due to some folks having issues with all the dust in the bags. I would gather that issue may have been resolved with the Upton bagging operation, which i drove by on Maple St the other day, getting up and going.

Status
Not open for further replies.