Old Barn for Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

intc97

Apr 24, 2008
Churubusco, NY
Have been picking through an old barn for useable lumber. Mostly siding and a few decent beams. Have been trying to decide if it is worth cutting up to burn in my CB 6048. There will be alot of nails and I know the older unuseable beams were Hemlock. Any thoughts?
Thanks

I know that there are companies that buy old barns and recycle the wood. You may want to check into that 1st.

As long as you don't use siding that was painted it should be okay. All the old barns in this area that were built like that were not built with any preservative in the beams. One good way would be to cut 3 pieces and light an outdoor fire. See what the smoke and smell is like .

Jack Straw said:
I know that there are companies that buy old barns and recycle the wood. You may want to check into that 1st.

Jack Straw's right on...I know a few furniture/cabinet makers that purchase old barn lumber and make some expensive pieces from it. You might want to consider getting it all together and advertising it. The proceeds will probably buy you more volume in firewood.

^^ And it won't be full of nails and it won't be hemlock or other softwoods.

When I see old distressed lumber like that I often ask the owner if I can have some of it, and I only do hobby wood working, often times some cabinet maker has already asked for it.

As fire wood I think it would be like kiln dried wood, maybe even burn too hot, and very fast, but it does have that very cool popping that comes with very dried wood.

Jack Straw said:

People finish the interior of their houses with wood like that. Especially near here, in the "Hamptons".

I think you'd be spot on with looking in that direction.

I'd love to do something with that kinda wood in my house !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.