1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Old Barn for Firewood

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by intc97, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. intc97

intc97 New Member

Loc:
    Churubusco, NY
    Have been picking through an old barn for useable lumber. Mostly siding and a few decent beams. Have been trying to decide if it is worth cutting up to burn in my CB 6048. There will be alot of nails and I know the older unuseable beams were Hemlock. Any thoughts?
    Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    I know that there are companies that buy old barns and recycle the wood. You may want to check into that 1st.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    As long as you don't use siding that was painted it should be okay. All the old barns in this area that were built like that were not built with any preservative in the beams. One good way would be to cut 3 pieces and light an outdoor fire. See what the smoke and smell is like .
  4. dvellone

dvellone Feeling the Heat

Jack Straw's right on...I know a few furniture/cabinet makers that purchase old barn lumber and make some expensive pieces from it. You might want to consider getting it all together and advertising it. The proceeds will probably buy you more volume in firewood.
  5. mayhem

mayhem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Peru, MA
    ^^ And it won't be full of nails and it won't be hemlock or other softwoods.
  6. mike1234

mike1234 New Member

Loc:
    Colorado
    When I see old distressed lumber like that I often ask the owner if I can have some of it, and I only do hobby wood working, often times some cabinet maker has already asked for it.

As fire wood I think it would be like kiln dried wood, maybe even burn too hot, and very fast, but it does have that very cool popping that comes with very dried wood.

7. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    People finish the interior of their houses with wood like that. Especially near here, in the "Hamptons".

I think you'd be spot on with looking in that direction.

I'd love to do something with that kinda wood in my house !!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.