Old Cast Iron Stoves vs New Cast Iron Stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sapratt

Feeling the Heat
May 14, 2008
Northwestern, Oh
I'm not looking to buy a new or old cast iron stove. This is just a question that has been in my head for a while.
Are new Cast Iron stoves such as vogelzang built any different than the old Cast Iron stoves? The reason for this question
now. Is on ebay there seems to be alot of old Cast Iron stoves forsale. The people selling them say "How nice they would
be in some ones home."

I could say that they were built different. But how old are you talking here? What price range of stove are you comparing it to?

We just retired a potbelly stove in the family cabin that was probably 100+ years old. The cast iron is fairly ornate, yet this was never a parlor stove.

I'm not sure that a V box stove has what it takes to last. Then again, as far as cost and inflation go I'm sure the old potbellys cost more than $100 of 2008 dollars. I guess you got what you paid for then and now.

Matt

People on eBay rarely know what they are talking about when it comes to stoves!

At the same time, there is nothing new under the sun and the biggest difference today involved two things - the seams of the newer cast stoves are usually fully hidden and well sealed, and the internal designs are different for the EPA standards, etc.

Fact is that woodstoves - even newer ones - are not high tech by any means. Simple machines.

I'd take an older, quality casting stove from the US or Europe to a new Vogelzang any day. They are two different animals. Now if you want to compare current Vogelzangs to older Taiwan or Chinese castings, I don't know. One would hope they would be improving, but so far I haven't seen evidence to that effect. However, that could be due to poor design and not the casting.

I like going on Ebay and looking at these 1800s and early 1900s stoves. Alot of them are works of art beautiful stoves.
I saw this little stove on a canal boat. The thing was about 1ft wide 1.5ft long. I can't remember who made it. But it
was a neat little stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.