Old Chimney, Reline or Heatshield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wconsidi

Sep 11, 2013
I just bought a house with two chimney's. The one on the side of the house is in use and has two stainless steel liners and is connected to my propane boiler and my wood pellet insert. This chimney was redone five years ago and I have to issues with it. The chimney on the back of my house has not been used in quite a few years (7-12) and was capped off when it went out of use. I pulled the cap off and it has some cracked ceramic liners and block at the top of it. The first 3. I was wondering if it would be best just to go ahead and have it sealed entirely or run flex steel piping to through it. I'm looking for a low cost but good quality solution. Would it be easier to just tear the top blocks off and set new ones? Its a 8" flue and 26ft in height chimney. Any thoughts guys and gals?

What is the goal for this damaged chimney? What would be connected?

Unless a camera is run down the flue and it is fully inspected one can't be certain that it is ok. I would line it with a stainless liner after a good cleaning.

Reactions: Heatsource
I agree with begreen.

Status
Not open for further replies.