Old class A 9"i.d 13"o.d can I use it for new chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pathoppe

Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2007
First off, thanks to all who responded to my 'fire starter' questions about stoves and chimney installation. I have done a lot more research and I am less of a neophyte than before (thanks in large part to hearth.com).

Second, I decided on the Jotul 600 Firelight CB. Should keep things toasty this winter.

Finally, here is my question: I remodeled this A-frame hovel and in so doing took out the previous chimney. I saved the class A pipe knowing that it is expensive in the hopes of someday installing a new stove. Well that day has come (see above) and I want to re-use the pipe because it is still in excellent condition, but I just measured the pipe and it is 9" i.d and 13"o.d. I can only find class A in 6", 8", 10", 12" diameters. The stove has a 6" flue outlet and I will be using a through-the-wall install. I have 20' of this classA, but I am starting to think I will have to bite the bullet and spend $800 on 6" classA instead to get it right. Any suggestions? Any way to retrofit? Any connectors that would work? Any good, but cheaper vendors out there for chimney components?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Status
Not open for further replies.