Old Dovre being replaced

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

snavematt

Sep 7, 2016
Virginia
Hi all, new to the forum, but I have been lurking for quite a while. Getting ready to replace this 1990's Dovre for a new stove, this Dovre has no air control except for a fresh air kit, so kind of hard to control the fire. Torn between an Explorer II, Oslo and the Oakwood. Leaning more towards the Explorer II.

Will be removing the brick surround and having the new one on an open hearth, already have double wall chimney.

Will post my wood shed on the woodshed forum as well, Im pretty well stocked with oak, tons of locust, and the ever present poplar. Looking forward to learning more from all of you

stove.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. That is a nice look. Do you know what model Dovre this is?

Before proceeding you must determine what construction was used for the structure surrounding the Dovre. The new stoves installation requirements must be honored. That means this needs to be an entirely non-combustible, masonry fireplace. If you still have the manual that would be a good place to start. It should have the installation requirements. What is unclear is whether this is a zero-clearance unit built into a chase with a brick veneer or an entirely masonry assembly? Do you know if there is a class A chimney on the Dovre or a masonry chimney with a clay tile liner?

Welcome. That is a nice look. Do you know what model Dovre this is?

Before proceeding you must determine what construction was used for the structure surrounding the Dovre. The new stoves installation requirements must be honored. That means this needs to be an entirely non-combustible, masonry fireplace. If you still have the manual that would be a good place to start. It should have the installation requirements. What is unclear is whether this is a zero-clearance unit built into a chase with a brick veneer or an entirely masonry assembly? Do you know if there is a class A chimney on the Dovre or a masonry chimney with a clay tile liner?

Its a Sunburst/Sunbeam model something like that. Here is a different picture, this is a real brick surround built around the stove. non masonry chimney, Class A double walled pipe, I have the paperwork from when it was originally professionally installed with a permit. So the original install was compliant. The plan is to remove the surround, add to the hearth if needed based on new stove requirement, and add brick veneer on back wall (non combustible type). The new stove will be professionally installed. I just can't seem to get any heat out of and also be able to control the Dovre.
stove2.jpg

Also make sure you inspect your chimney very well. A chimney that has been in use for 20+ years may be at the end of its useful life.

Also make sure you inspect your chimney very well. A chimney that has been in use for 20+ years may be at the end of its useful life.

just had it cleaned and inspected, was given flying colors. I don't think they used it a lot

here is a better picture from when we bought the house

stove3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This could be a challenge as most if not all freestanding stoves are not tested in this condition. The fireplace surround looks custom built to this unit's specification which may not match other stoves. It looks like there is little more than a course of brick between the stove and the woodwork on the sides; that could be a gotcha. And the brick over a conventional stove top will get quite hot when that close. Therefore it's hard to say without knowing exactly how the brick surround is put together and whether the metal surround is part of a kit that came with the Dovre and even then there may not be a stove outside of a small ZC fireplace that will work.

This could be a challenge as most if not all freestanding stoves are not tested in this condition. The fireplace surround looks custom built to this unit's specification which may not match other stoves. It looks like there is little more than a course of brick between the stove and the woodwork on the sides; that could be a gotcha. And the brick over a conventional stove top will get quite hot when that close. Therefore it's hard to say without knowing exactly how the brick surround is put together and whether the metal surround is part of a kit that came with the Dovre and even then there may not be a stove outside of a small ZC fireplace that will work.

Thanks for the input, I will be removing all of the brick, so I am not looking to place the new stove in the brick alcove how the Dovre is mounted. All the brick and wood you see minus the hearth (if thick enough) will be gone

Great, that simplifies things a great deal. The most important things then will be a proper hearth, honoring clearances and aligning the chimney.

ALL:- - first time I have posted. I just bought a home with a 1990s Dovre that looks a lot like this one. Any idea what it is worth second hand?- - it has a blower. THANKS

ALL:- - first time I have posted. I just bought a home with a 1990s Dovre that looks a lot like this one. Any idea what it is worth second hand?- - it has a blower. THANKS
My guess is not much, very hard to find parts. We just had our local company out to talk about replacement and such. He stated this stove pulls more heat from the house than you actually benefit from it. When we replace it I will one one of the following, scrap it, sell cheap on craigslist, or put in the new shed for heat.

THANKS. I was thinking maybe $200 on craigslist- - but then I saw that new units are going for around $3k with a blower and wondered if I had more of a treasure than I originally thought.

If the stove is in pretty good shape, ask for $500.00 or best offer. Then you have room to negotiate a bit. My $0.02

so had the local wood stove place come out, of course nothing is ever easy I wanna do. The current class A is installed as per Dovre where the weight of all the pipe in on the stove. so a few options now, thinking about doing a horizontal to the outside (utilizing existing class a just moving it all outside) and building a nice stone hearth and wall, or still build the hearth and wall and then run new black class a and then connect to the existing in the attic. More to come

We have seen some installations here where the class A went right down to the stove. The weight may be supported with a roof support under the flashing. Or, keep the pipe, but change out the ceiling support for the chimney and connect the ceiling support to the stove with stove pipe (not chimney pipe).

We have seen some installations here where the class A went right down to the stove. The weight may be supported with a roof support under the flashing. Or, keep the pipe, but change out the ceiling support for the chimney and connect the ceiling support to the stove with stove pipe (not chimney pipe).

They are coming over do a full inspection on everything. So will know here in a week or so

latest update, contract signed, and work starting soon. the old silver pipe is being removed from ceiling down,new insulated shield being put in place as well as a ceiling support (existing double wall in attic and outside staying, new black double wall pipe inside, old hearth and surround being removed, new stone hearth being built and Explorer II with blower being installed.

all told, including demo (and removal of all debris (I'm keeping old stove and pipe), building hearth, and new stove $6155

can't wait

latest status, Hearth put down, stove and rest of chimney will be in by Friday. Glad th cold has really held off here. The tape and plastic on ceiling is to hold in heat for now.

Attachments

• demo1.jpeg
    demo1.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,199
  • demo2.jpeg
    demo2.jpeg
    17.5 KB · Views: 328
  • demo3.jpeg
    demo3.jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 324
  • demo4.jpeg
    demo4.jpeg