Old Englander Furnace ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

moshiersr

Hearth Supporter
Jan 23, 2008
Horseheads NY
Has anyone ever seen a 28-3500 furnace with a solid steel plated door (no glass, but same door frame) and what looks like a cast iron hot air outlet ring instead of the galvanized ring?

I'm looking at an old stove and trying to figure out what exactly it is or what vintage it is. It needs some TLC.. just not sure if its worth it.

I have two NC-30's now and thinking about replacing the basement NC-30 with the 28-3500. I am hesitant to get a new 28-4000 furnace since the NC-30 I have barely keeps up in the basement...

Has anyone ever seen a 28-3500 furnace with a solid steel plated door (no glass, but same door frame) and what looks like a cast iron hot air outlet ring instead of the galvanized ring?

I'm looking at an old stove and trying to figure out what exactly it is or what vintage it is. It needs some TLC.. just not sure if its worth it.

I have two NC-30's now and thinking about replacing the basement NC-30 with the 28-3500. I am hesitant to get a new 28-4000 furnace since the NC-30 I have barely keeps up in the basement...
Is your basement insulated

Is your basement insulated

Not completely.. it’s a work in progress. I know that will help. It’s new construction, I have 2” XPS foam sub grade around the outside, but have 28” of concrete showing above ground. I just did my sill insulation. 2”XPS air sealed and then will be backing that up with some fiberglass