old freestanding wood fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lefties

Feb 1, 2011
As a kid in colorado we had one of those old oval freestanding fireplaces(steel) with screen. In 40 below it would heat our house so hot we had to open door. Many were bright orange ours was black. They werent heat efficient for holding heat but wow they could pour it out. Saw one on fb marketplace awhile back. I should have bought it for nostalgia,

I know the feeling of being nostalgic about things...lol ..I never saw one of those and i might try to look it up as "oval freestanding fireplace (steel with screen) and see what happens...lol clancey

I know the feeling of being nostalgic about things...lol ..I never saw one of those and i might try to look it up as "oval freestanding fireplace (steel with screen) and see what happens...lol clancey
clancey it was malm wood fireplace...now i see them for thousands

That's neat and I have a link....They would be wonderful for ambiance and gas fired heat too and I can certainly see their addition to modernize the housing units or apartments-(whatever).. They look more like our times for this younger generation but my favorite is real wood burning stove that also gives one ambiance and what I look about it is --it could heat a large room and it spins--lol I will get a few links up here--one of your favorites and one of mine...clancey

The Malm in black got the nickname the Darth Vader stove.

Reactions: clancey
I use an old sierra these days. One of the real heaters they made before bankruptcy and the new rebuilds.

I use an old sierra these days. One of the real heaters they made before bankruptcy and the new rebuilds.
We work on a few of them. They always seemed like decent stoves for what they are. They have an interesting look a bit different than most of the other big steel boxes.