Old insert, new construction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonnygun

Sep 6, 2015
Upstate SC
Hi all,

Sorry if this is a newb question but...

I am building a new home and have baulked at the cost of a masonary chimney.

My wife and I already have a Country Flame BBF woodburning insert that has traveled with us from house to house and we would like to use it again if possible. The local (upstate SC) fireplace store has stated that a zero clearence firebox would be a better option. My problem is that I have already paid some good $$$$ for the insert I have and like and am annoyed that I am being steered into effectivley repurchasing a similiar product. Could anybody provide some guidence.

Thank You

That stove was designed to be used as either an insert or free standing stove. Just gonna need to get some legs for it.

That thing is a beast.

Thanks for the reply BrotherBart! I have been very pleased with its performance. I am down with turning it into a freestanding unit, and was unaware that it just needed legs, I thought that was a different model all together.

I just mentioned your post to my wife and she is open to that as a solution but would still prefer it if we could get it installed into something...

Thanks again for your reply

Edited to add: Thanks for the link!

Here is what that bad boy looks like on legs.

bbf-black-md.jpg

Thanks for the reply BrotherBart! I have been very pleased with its performance. I am down with turning it into a freestanding unit, and was unaware that it just needed legs, I thought that was a different model all together.

I just mentioned your post to my wife and she is open to that as a solution but would still prefer it if we could get it installed into something...

Thanks again for your reply

Edited to add: Thanks for the link!
That something is a masonry fireplace, at the tune of nearly $20K I'm guessing. It ain't going into a zero clearance fireplace is my bet!

Yeah a 580 pound 3.9cf cat stove made out of 5/16" and 1/4" plate. Sit that sucker on legs out in the living space, start a fire and you ain't gonna believe what happens next.

Reactions: webby3650
It does put out some heat lol. Fired it up this past winter and had the windows open more often than not. Kinda over kill for my area of the country, but beats paying the power bill.

I would not get rid of that stove. I just put my 30 year old BBF to rest last year due to interior failure. I loved that stove and would have loved to replace it with the same thing. It really could b]put out some heat and keep a fire for 12 hours or more. Went a whole different direction though. Put it on legs and design your space for that stove.

Picture 002.jpg

start a fire and you ain't gonna believe what happens next.
I am voting on "everyone gets undressed!".

That is a nice stove. As others, I suggest you buy a set of legs for it. That thing is a beast! $50 legs are a lot cheaper than a $20 000 chimney. Take the $19 950 and use it with the Mrs on a nice trip somewhere; she'll be greatfull for no chimney then :D

Andrew

lol at Swedishchef! Gettin neckid has neverbeen my problem...

Now that I have over-shared I will happily take the advice I have recieved and stick some legs on it. Now I need to research clearences and needed accessories, unless somebody wants to spoon feed me...

In any case thanks to everybody that responded, my wife and I appreciate it.

Jonny

Normally we ask for pics, or it didn't happen. however, in this case, I will take your word for it ;)

From what I read, the clearance requirements are 8 inches to the sides and back, 18 inches in the front.
:)

Andrew

Considering how I paid my way through college pics are plentiful...

j/k lol!

We are building on a slab so underfoot is easy. Now we just need to deside upon fireproofing on the adjacent walls as we are going to install in a corner, I think. Lots of helpfull pics out there to reference. I am not sure that I like a long run of chimney pipe visible so perhaps we will install in a drywall chase of some sort. In any case thanks again!

Just so you know, every bend in your stove pip reduces draft. The optimal setup is straight up!

Fireproofing walls?! What's on the walls now?

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to get the bills paid ;)

Andrew

The walls are just studs at this point. we would like to stick it as deep into the corner as we can, so unless I am seriously misinterpreting the install instructions I need so stick something fireproof like brick or rock or something with a 1" air gap to get my minimum distance down to either 6 or 12 feet.

I'm gonna talk to a local guy at some point this week hopefully.

We are building on a slab so underfoot is easy. Now we just need to deside upon fireproofing on the adjacent walls as we are going to install in a corner, I think. Lots of helpfull pics out there to reference. I am not sure that I like a long run of chimney pipe visible so perhaps we will install in a drywall chase of some sort. In any case thanks again!

According to the manual (http://www.americanenergysystems.com/Stock/LibraryFiles/CatalyticV72rev15-26-091.pdf, 2009 version) reductions under 12" are not allowed. So the closest you can get it to the wall is 12" from the back corner when a ventilated heat shield is used. This link may be helpful: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/stove_wall_clear

You also won't get around of seeing some pipe as you will need to keep some minimum clearance above the stove to the ceiling. The only one they are giving is for their R model in an alcove installation (page 17 bottom) which is at 42". For the BFF you probably need more as it is not even approved for an alcove installation. You may need to ask the manufacturer for how much.

Status
Not open for further replies.