Old man winter is not through with us quite yet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
Well here it is the 13th of March.

Yesterday we had 60 MPH winds, torential rains, and this morning we have 5 inches of snow on the ground.

OMG what a spread of weather.

This is about as late as I have seen sticking snow on the ground here on the west side of the Cascades in a long time.
Had to go out and get a couple extra buckets of shells and fire off the little stove late last night.

With the heavy winds and lower temps the one whit was just not keeping things cozy enough.

Last week it was 64F one day and 60F the next and now winter weather again.

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGG.

Really glad to have plenty of shells on hand for the stoves for sure.

Snowy

Snowy Rivers said:
Well here it is the 12th of March.

Yesterday we had 60 MPH winds, torential rains, and this morning we have 5 inches of snow on the ground.

This is about as late as I have seen sticking snow on the ground here on the west side of the Cascades in a long time.
Had to go out and get a couple extra buckets of shells and fire off the little stove late last night.

With the heavy winds and lower temps the one whit was just not keeping things cozy enough.

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGG.

Snowy

Hate to say this but whiel you had that yesterday it was 70+ in NH, the kids were in shorts.

I hope your weathet improves and what you had yesterday stays away from New England ;-)

This whole week here in upstate, NY is supposed to be in the mid to high 60's. And the extended forecast is predicting 70's by this coming Monday.

Wonder what temps July/August will bring? High 90's to low 100's??

The last time we had a spring this warm and early we had a very dry summer. I hope that's not what we have in store for this summer. I don't have municipal water and so dry summers are always a concern of mine.

Chain said:
The last time we had a spring this warm and early we had a very dry summer. I hope that's not what we have in store for this summer. I don't have municipal water and so dry summers are always a concern of mine.

Sadly, this is a concern of mine as well. A farmer friend has a spring that is already beginning to slow down which is not a good sign in mid-March.

gymrat0663 said:
Chain said:

Sadly, this is a concern of mine as well. A farmer friend has a spring that is already beginning to slow down which is not a good sign in mid-March.

Despite not having the many, many inches of snow we typically get in winter here in upstate, NY, we've actually had a pretty wet winter given we had a pretty good amount of rain over the course of the entire winter. However, we won't have the snow run off as in typical years that would otherwise lessen the blow of a dry late spring/early summer. Given this, if we have even a moderately dry spring/summer, our farmers will be hurting. When you depend on rain to irrigate your fields AND water a large herd of milk cows, it can be a huge double whammy if your well runs dry and your creeks and ponds dry up. It's why I no longer groan when we have days upon days of rain. Never look a gift horse in the mouth....Unless it begins to flood. Here's hoping for a wet spring/summer!

72° right now and gonna be 40° for the low tonight. Been 65° one day and 25° the next couple.

Gonna be in the High 50's to 70's all week here. With lows all over the place (upper 30's to 50's).

Crazy weather. Hope its not a sign of whats to come.......

How accurate is the Farmers Almanac? Gorgeous day today high 60's tomorrow supposed to be warmer. Might throw the yak in for a spin

i hope this summer is as dry as a bone! last summer irene left us a giant mess. collapsed basement wall, flooded roads and yards which are *still* soggy and muddy. the ground is so wet that if you spill a cup of water on the lawn it stay a puddle for days. i dont have municipal water either but this area of ny needs to dry out in a major way!

Never look a gift horse in the mouth....Unless it begins to flood. Here's hoping for a wet spring/summer![/quote]

I haven't had a decent tomato crop for three years due to cool wet summer weather. Every year the late blight takes my crop and turns it into black mush. I voluntarily give you my share of cool wet weather! We use to have dry spells where the lawn would burn up, but not so in the past few years. I had my best gardens back when it was a little warmer.

There is snow falling in Maine at this time.

ETA: save$ I don't need to hear about late blight or horn worms. I know how to get rid of the worms and cut way down on the other but do not want to use the stuff.

Snow is on its way out now, few flakes flew in the wee hours this morning, but no more today.

Had to do a quicky hot clean on the large stove last night as it was too cold outside to let the stove stand for an hour or more to really cool off.

Windy today with a cold rain.

The rest of the week looks little better with heavy rains and wind forcast till Sunday.

We even had snow on the beaches yesterday. AAAAARRRRRGGGGG

Hopefully this March thats stomping in like a LION will sneak out like a Lamb.

I am hopping that April will bring some very nice weather, not like the sloppy cold mess we had last year.

Last Spring we were having a fire all the way until the first week of June.

Snowy

The nuts we have up here can't be put in a stove.

The stove has been idle since Sunday early morning. I don't think its gonna get much use this week. Supposed to cool down a little next week sometime. So will see.

We have gotten thumped in April many a times. I wouldn't put it past getting a duesy before Easter!

OK got a sunburn today working on the lake, just got home and fired of the encore, once the sun set it got cold.

Snowy Rivers said:
Well here it is the 13th of March.

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGG.

Snowy

Hi Snowy,
Not much different up here in Maine! The last 3 days have been nice and sunny with temps around 62-64, late yesterday the clouds came in and today we got rain this afternoon and about 3/4 inch of snow this evening. It's going to be in the 50's and 60's the rest of the week and this weekend it starts a warm up and temps in the 70's ( Yeahhhhh!) by next week.
We have a saying up here in Maine " If you don't like the weather, just wait an hour and it will change" !

Snowing here now, ground is white. But I think it will all go away tomorrow. I'll wait until the end of the month, then I'll winterize the snow thrower. For now, back to the spring sees catalogs.

It was beautiful here today. It was mid 70's. I walked nine holes tonight. This is the earliest I can remember playing a round in Michigan.

save$ said:
Snowing here now, ground is white. But I think it will all go away tomorrow. I'll wait until the end of the month, then I'll winterize the snow thrower. For now, back to the spring sees catalogs.

It looks like it's done here now, the clouds are breaking up with some clear spots. I think you're right about tomorrow, it's gonna' melt.
Weather.com has us getting temps in the 70's by this time nest week! It can't get here fast enough for me! I bought a new ( expensive) snow blower last Fall, I've only used it 4 times... It doesn't look like it's going to get used let alone break into a sweat. We've got green stuff sprouting up here and there, it looks like we'll all be shutting down early this year---I Still have a ton left for next year!

Well Winter is still at it.
Weather man says snow again by Sat/Sun with snow down to the valley floor (200ft) and accumulations above 500ft elevation.

I am at 1250 ft soooooooo, looks like snow again.

Not gonna be mothballing the whitfields any time soon me thinks.

Yesterday saw more torrential rains, wind and just plain nasty weather.

Really glad that I got my last nut shell fillemup a few weeks ago.

Plowing right into the stuff too.
We are still using on average about 30-40 pounds a day.

There was a big deal with the weather back in December/January as it had been pretty dry and little snow in the mountains.

Now the Snow pack is up really good and folks are complaining about the rain.

Can't win.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.