Old Penn Royal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DomenickJ

Aug 8, 2016
Milford PA
Please Help! I've got an old Penn Royal, I'm guessing steam boiler, that I know nothing about! No manual or plate on the back. I cant post an image from from the devise I'm using.
Description:
Roughly 32" w X 42" d X 36" h
2 side reservoirs that have separate lines running into a top tank
Top reservoir
3" threaded opening on top tank, front
1 1\2" return line in back, attached to both side reservoirs
Multiple 1" threaded openings on top tank
It's a monster and can easily fit a 30" log

I brought an old DutchWest back to life (spent years out in the elements) a few years back. And I've got the itch again!
I appreciate any info and know a picture helps. I'll work on that tonight..

Is this a wood burner or is it set up for coal with a shaker grate? Does it look like this?

stove stove.jpg shaker shaker.jpg

Boilers add a significant layer of safety concerns. Steam is powerful and explosive. If you choose to undertake this endeavor be sure to post in the boiler room section for specific help on boiler installation.

She's a wood burner.. Here's an image and thanks for the reply!

And I'll be sure to post there also!

Attachments

• IMG_20160808_104247.jpg
    IMG_20160808_104247.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 551
Is this a wood burner or is it set up for coal with a shaker grate? Does it look like this?

stove View attachment 182783 shaker View attachment 182784

Boilers add a significant layer of safety concerns. Steam is powerful and explosive. If you choose to undertake this endeavor be sure to post in the boiler room section for specific help on boiler installation.
Bit late on this post, but the forum notifies of quotes.

Begreen, know any place that I can get more information on a stove like that that a Google search wouldn't find? I have one in my basement sans all of the steam hardware and would love to locate a source for another shaker like the one pictured to the right. Mine is warped downward pretty badly, and its starting to make clearing the ash from the bottom difficult.

Not outside of a google search. You might try the coal forum if yours is a coal unit. www.nepacrossroads.com

Not outside of a google search. You might try the coal forum if yours is a coal unit. www.nepacrossroads.com

It is and that's my plan. Just haven't gotten around to measuring stuff and taking pictures for the post. I've searched around over there and only found 2-3 post about them. It seems they had a small distribution area and weren't made for very long. This thread has the first woodstove from them I've seen. I have found 2-3 wood/coal combos exactly like mine posted different places. One guy likes his and the other ones have grates in worse shape than what I have.

Mine did great with coal and better than one would expect with wood for what it is.

Thanks.

Last edited:
If yours is not terrible I'm wondering if you could have a new one cast for the stove by a small foundry using it as a template?
http://www.clinchrivercasting.com/

I think that it would. It's cracked and cupped, but it could be pounded flat for the purpose of making another one, I would think.

I am curious about the cost of that. I would really only need the small circular grate in the middle on your second pic. The larger square part seems fine. Looks like I'll have to get some quotes from places.

Status
Not open for further replies.