Old Question, New Asker - Outdoor air supply versus indoor supply for a wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KCStrom

Hearth Supporter
Apr 21, 2010
S.W Colorado
Hello,

Please accept my thanks and apologies in advance. I apologize for asking a question that has no doubt been worked over many, many times - I just haven't been able to find a satisfactory answer. I also thank you for your time and effort reading and responding to this post.

Here's the question.

I am about to replace my old Heatilator wood burning fireplace (no doors, no blower) with a Quadra-Fire wood burning insert (haven't decided between the 3100 or 4100 - I am told these are good machines, but really don't know from any personal experience).

What I'm trying to decide is to whether to use an outdoor air supply or let the combustion air be drawn from inside the house. My house is mostly log at about 8,000 ft in the mountains of SW Colorado. Right now the house is not too airtight, but, after this freezing winter, I intend to seal it up as tightly as possible. My primary source of heat is propane-fired radiant floor heating (no forced air), but the propane bills are killing me and want to use the new insert to provide as much of my heat as possible

I'm trying to figure out what makes the most sense in terms of efficiency and comfort (indoor air or outdoor feed). My contractor says he'll do it either way. I just don't know what to tell him.

Thoughts?

Thanks again,

KC

I had outside air supply on my ZC fireplace, all it did for me was add cold air in my house like a window was open. I can't say what you need with your new one I would contact the manufacture to make sure. But when I bought my Avalon insert the installer told me that this one will not need outside air and to be honest I never open the vent on my old ZC insert for outside air . I had enough air and with good seasoned wood the fire would roar. Good luck call that manufacture to be sure.
md

If they are totally necessary then I have no problem with them. We had one once but never liked it, especially on windy days. However, if your house is really tight, or small or you have other things running a lot, like clothes dryers, exhaust fans, etc., then you might need the outside air. Also if the stove is in the basement sometimes they very well might need an outside air supply. All in all, I will go without the outside air supply if at all possible.

btw, they claim your floors won't be drafty with an OAK, but we never noticed any difference. One thing that sometimes happens (or maybe a lot) is that many folks, including me, will sometimes leave the firebox door open just a crack when first starting a fire. Or some folks will even have to crack a window just a tad near the stove to allow some extra air in the house.

Because of what you have been accustomed to and what you will be using I'd be a whole lot more concerned about your fuel than your air! That is, you might very well find that your wood needs to be drier than what you may have been using. If you are not at least 2 years ahead on your wood supply, you might be disappointed with that new insert. Best to be 2-3 years ahead at all times so that you have good dry wood. That way you will extract much more heat from each piece of wood and won't have problems getting that fire going. The difference even between 1 year seasoned and 2 years is like the difference between night and day.

Good luck to you.

KC said:
... a question that has no doubt been worked over many, many times - I just haven't been able to find a satisfactory answer.
What makes you think you will find a better answer in this thread and what do you consider satisfactory?

I say put in the OAK with a positive shutoff if you don't intend to burn all the time. Properly installed, it should not bring cold air into the room. Oh, and there is no way to make a log home airtight.

Status
Not open for further replies.