old school vs new school ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avitare

Oct 3, 2009
Northern Lower Michigan
(I'm on a roll)

I have read about the secondary combustion in non-cat stoves and I find this concept/design quite interesting

Is there sites that elaborate on secondary combustion designs and explains the air flow and ignition designs ??

(at this time I can only wish for a new stove, but I can dream of more efficient burning)
thanks
tc

Here's a diagram from Lopi: http://www.lopistoves.com/how_it_works/wood/

Most of the non-cat stoves on the market today use this method. Basically, preheated combustion air is drawn into the back/bottom of the stove, fed along the side of the firebox through some chambers, and then "injected" out the top of the baffle through burn tubes onto the top of the fire.

Another type of "downdraft" design burns the gases at the back/bottom of the stove (Lopi Leyden, for example).

I would just Google it or look at the websites of any manufacturer.

No problem dreaming . . . but call it "researching" your options for the future . . . it sounds better . . . sounds more productive and sounds like you're actually doing some work rather than just hanging out with us wood burning hoodlums. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.