Old stove: Screen inside glass doors?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FanMan

Feeling the Heat
Mar 4, 2012
CT stix & upstate NY
I have an old (1970s presumably) "Early Times" stove, freestanding fireplace, whatever you want to call it, in my cabin. Not too efficient and you can't fill it for a real long burn but it's what's there. No good picture but you can see it here. Anyway, inside the glass doors is a chain curtain screen. I've never closed the curtain, it doesn't move very easily, and it's also a PITA sometimes to get logs in past it. I thought it's there because the manufacturer wanted to sell the idea of using it with the doors open or closed, but with the doors open it puts too much smoke into the room; the firebox is pretty shallow. Anybody know why this stove would have both doors and a screen, or any good reason not to remove the screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.