1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Old Sugar Maple Splits

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by rideau, Mar 15, 2013.

1. KodiakII

KodiakII Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern Ontario

And guys like you are known for giving Americans a sterling reputation worldwide!
    ChrisNJ and gyrfalcon like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    And an interesting story at that.

My elderly neighbors gave me a bunch of bucked red oak in the fall of last year. Said their basement was full and they would likely not be living there (looking at retirement homes) or alive to see it all used. When they do leave, they said I could have what is in the basement. I haven't been down in there to see it yet, but am certainly curious about how long some of it has been stored and the shape that its in. I haven't seen them have a fire in the year and a half I've lived here.

raybonz likes this.
  3. tcassavaugh

tcassavaugh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    would you like a little salt and pepper with that sir? sorry, couldn't resist.

cass
  4. nrford

nrford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW lower Mi.
    Folks please note in the above photo's the distinct differance in the end grain of the Hard maple on the left and the Ash on the right . Notice the very open capillary tubes in the growth rings of the ash and the very tight growth ring capillaries of the Hard Maple. Now go back and look and the OP. That tells the whole story right there!!!
  5. Havendalefarm

Havendalefarm Member

Loc:
    New Haven ,NY
    In my thirty years of being around sawmills and logging I get reminded from time to time how species can vary by region and growing conditions. Our acidic soil produces trees of similar species that may look somewhat different if grown on limestone. Every man is most familiar with his own wood...
  6. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Contrast that to the monster Pin Oak I posted on last year which was in a valley (plenty of water) and probably fertilized by hog manure runoff from the field above; ~65" DBH in 100 years. :eek:
    I've got wood that's almost sixty years old, but only one very small round. ==c
    That can happen in punky wood, which you probably didn't see much of at the mill. Some areas of the OP's end grain pic, the grain looks really tight with hardly any capillaries visible, but other parts (slightly punked?) look more open. Also note the discoloration (dark) in some of the sapwood. Classic slightly-punked look there. A split pic would have removed all doubt. Let that be a lesson to you, rideau. Just like stacked wood, you can never have too many pics! ;lol
    FWIW, I would guess Maple on the basis of the scant pics offered. :p Never saw darker heartwood on White Ash here, maybe some other Ash varieties have that...
  7. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Old wood is good wood!
    Should close the " can wood get to dry?" question ;)
    After over 30 years seasoning , still burns great :)